Any place other than Pleasant to dive here!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reef Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just wondering if there are any other lakes that are OK to dive here in AZ...How about lake Havasu??? Or Powell??? Roosevelt???

Looks good.... Just wondering if Roosevelt is any good...it isn't mentioned???

Checked out Canyon today just to see if it was still as bad as I've heard... and it was. Vis was garbage until you got below about 25 feet, then it opened up to a whopping 5 feet. It was worth checking out once I guess. Maybe we'll try Saguaro next time around.

One other lake...How about lake havasu...any one know about that lake???

Havasu sounds shallow as of the last couple years at least and not much to see. [thread=145350]Here's a thread[/thread], do a search in the Arizona Scuba forum for more threads. Techdivinglimited.com is based in LHC, PM'ing Joel (JS1scuba) could provide local knowledge.

If I'm driving more than 3-4 hours to go diving, I'm heading to the ocean :eyebrow:

-Garrett

Thanks Garrett...good info.... I would agree...Ocean sounds so good!!!!

Lake Havasu usually has 5 feet or less of viz. The lake is pretty shallow - about 40' at the river bed. I don't think Joel dives the lake. I know that the other shop in town, that does dive the lake, wasn't very enthusiastic about it when we were there. There's only one area that's might even be worthwhile diving from shore (it's off the island), but it was so dark and murky when we dove it we couldn't even find the boat that's supposedly sunk there. We might head back that way some day, but there are better lakes to dive.

Lake Mohave is definitely the best lake in Arizona to dive. I've never seen viz less than 10' and that was during a storm. Viz is usually 20-25'. There's a bus, van, and boat right off Cabinsite, and you can get to 80' within minutes of stepping into the water. Interesting topography there. It's definitely worth the drive and during the week you can get a hotel room in Laughlin (only 10 minutes away) for about $25/night. The one drawback is there are no local shops. The closest air fill is about 45 minutes away in Kingman. So bring you own tanks. If you plan a Mohave/Vegas trip, you can top off in Vegas.

Lake Mead is okay to dive if you happen to be in Las Vegas anyway. We usually head up and dive Mohave a couple of days, drive to Vegas to hang out, dive Mead one morning to get wet and cool off, then hit Mohave on the way back home. Mead's water level has been dropping a lot over the past few years. It's down over 100' right now. They will probably have to move the marina soon (actually, they should have moved it last year!). The only shore accessible area is the scuba park and there's not much to see there. They used to have a few attractions there, but the dropping water level has caused them to have to move most of the attractions to other locations. Mead has some good boat diving sites, but it's not easy to find a dive boat that's going out. The local shops don't think much of Mead. If you head up that way, contact LakeMeadTony here on the Board. He has a boat and will go out if his schedule permits.

I haven't been to Powell, but from what I understand it's in the same predicament as Mead. The water level is down over 100'. They spent about $2 million last year moving one of the marinas.

Soon we'll all be able to hike the lakes in Arizona! :frown:

Good information... Sounds like Mohave is a good lake to dive.... I will have to go there one of these days...

Thanks again!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom