Fitting the back plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dkerr

Reaction score
My bp arrived yesterday and I am very happy to say the least. I have done a few searches on adjusting the harness but still have a couple questions.
1) I know you should be able to touch the top of the plate. I can barely touch it behind my neck but can not reach it behind the shoulder. Should I have to strain to do this? Where should I be able to touch it?
2) How far over should the waist buckle be?

I am sure more questions will follow as my wings arrive (today?).
Thanks
Doug

What do you mean by not reaching it behind the shoulder? Do you mean raching around from one side, or over top your shoulder? I can reach over the top of my shoulder and touch the backplate, however I can not reach around my shoulder and do it.

As for the waist buckle, there are two schools of thought on this. Some like to have it over far enough where they can actually use it to hold the cannister light in place. Others, like myself, prefer it only a couple of inches off center, so the crotch strap is able to sit dead center. I than use a cheap plastic buckle to hold the light in place. I figure it this way, if my buckle is for some reason undone undewater, I do not want my HID falling off. With the extra plastic buckle, this will not happen.

Thanks James. What I meant, and sorry for being unclear, is if I am reaching with my right arm, should I be able to touch the top right of the bp or just the center? I am not reaching across my body, just over the same side as the arm I am reaching with.
The buckle positioning that you use does make sense. I dont have a can light yet (i think the little lady would KILL me), but when I do get one I may refer to your method. Thanks
Doug

I have mine set up the exact same way. The second (cheap plastic) buckle is the way to go IMO if you have a can there. If you don't, just go with the buckle a little off center to compensate for the crotch strap. Have fun with the new gear, I'm sure you're gonna love it!:D

mike

p.s. where did you get your bp from? you may need to deburr it. My halcyon SS definitely needed it, and its easier to do before you put the wing on. You could always take the wing off, but thats more trouble, so I recommend doing it before.

SSBP and 2pc STA is a FredT. Bought it off a board member who did not like the bp/wings set up. Their loss is my gain. BP is polished and deburred and absolutely gorgeous. Halcyon 36# just arrived a couple hours ago and it is killing me to not be diving right this second! Unfortunately they did not come with the cam straps (damn web sight shows the straps included :( so they are coming shortly).

Still looking if I have the plate high enough on my back. Hopefully not too far off I can hook up with someone in person but I plan on diving it as soon as possible so would like to get it set up as close to correct as possible.
Thanks
Doug

Maybe it's the arch of my back, but mine feels better just a tad lower. So I have to raise the tank to be able to reach the valve, my trim still feels OK though. If I put at my 2nd-3rd vertabrae the bottom sticks out too far and when I try to tighten it up my back has to be flat as a board and very uncomfortable. It's my shoulder blades I guess... Mines a FredT also, a work of art, all my friends just ooh and aah at it=-)

dkerr,
I think the cam bands are only included if you buy the whole as a system. However, they are out of stock at the moment. We had to urge them to ship some systems to us without the bands. They don't like to ship partial orders.

If you're getting the Halcyon bands, make sure they are the "new style" bands where the SS buckle DOES NOT come apart....much easier to manage.

Like JamesK, I use a plastic buckle to hold the can light in place. I put my waist buckle a 5 - 6 off to the right. The loop on the crotch strap passes over the buckle and centers nicely.

Back
Top Bottom