Thigh Pocket (Dive Rite)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frankly, it drove me nuts and I had to put it on my harness waistband. I just didn't like it hanging on my leg. Check ebay for x-shorts.

Would it just move around a lot? What about it was so annoying? I like the idea of the X-shorts, but they're just sooo ugly...

I've got the strap-on one and it is so far the only piece
of Dive Rite gear I have that I'm not happy with.
I give the pocket a thumbs up,and the strap system thumbs down.
Alot of my gear is Dive Rite,and the pocket itself is cool.

I would strongly suggest attaching it directly to
your wetsuit or adding a piece of 2" Velcro 3-4" long
to stop the pocket from sliding down thigh.
This has occurred every time I have tried to use mine.

The only time it didn't do it was when I removed
the top strap around leg and raised it up to
where it became a Hip-Pocket.
This position didn't work for me as I use the Transpac
and the double pocket got in the way.
Also sometimes I'm using Dive Rite sidemount
set-up and it then becomes useless.

Hope this helps.

Put me down as another diver who is less than fully satisfied. Even if you really tighten the leg straps - which have elastic - they loosen enough at depth to let the bag move around. That may not be a safety issue, but it does become irritating. I'm considering following the RedHead's lead and mounting it on my belt.

So the elastic isn't depth compensating? Any thoughts on replacing it with shock cord (or velco as suggested)? I wanted to keep the belt clean, so really rather not move it. Perhaps x-shorts are in my future.

TheRedHead:
Frankly, it drove me nuts and I had to put it on my harness waistband. I just didn't like it hanging on my leg. Check ebay for x-shorts.

Been using X-Shorts for about six months. They're great for holding gear and staying in place. Even of they look a liitle odd.

I have the thigh pocket and used it with my 5 mil in the St.Lawrence last weekend. I did use mine on the left side behind my spg d-ring and had no problems with it. I did find that I will have to trim the straps some as my leg is not huge.I'm waiting to do this though until I dive it with the drysuit. I also experimented with using it on a weight belt that I wear under my crotch strap. While it worked it seemed to slide unlike on my waist belt. One thing I did do after putting it on was to move the keeper up so that it was a 2" loop an a 2" belt. I also have the diverite bellows pocket(looks like same pocket with out straps for belt and thigh) that is probably going to end up glued to my 5 mil as wearing it on the belt puts it up too high for my likes.

Rainer:
So the elastic isn't depth compensating? Any thoughts on replacing it with shock cord (or velco as suggested)? I wanted to keep the belt clean, so really rather not move it. Perhaps x-shorts are in my future.

It always moved and slid around and I found it uncomfortable. The x-shorts don't look as weird as that pocket IMO. You can also glue a pocket onto a wetsuit.

Rainer:
I like the idea of the X-shorts, but they're just sooo ugly...

You're underwater...wearing a giant can of air strapped to your back, probably wrapped in a jacket BC, rubber hoses going everywhere, with something in your mouth letting you breathe and a set of big rubber fins...
...and you're worried about something looking ugly? :confused: :confused: :lol:

For me that would be a non-issue. All my gear and wetsuits are black so the X-Shorts would fit right in. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom