Scuba package on the internet for a beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShallowDiverDave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anybody care to suggest a scuba package to buy off the internet (BCD, regs, and console) for a beginner? I'd prefer responses from people who have actually done this, but welcome the input of others too. I realize this is totally a loaded question, but I'm too curious to hear your answers for me not to ask. I'm currently looking at some of the packages on scubatoys.com. thanks!

Let me put a price cap at 1500$

Lots of people here have bought packages or individual items on the net (and you can find many discussions the pros and cons of that in a search here if you haven't already.) No one can really suggest gear without knowing more about you and the diving you plan to do. And fit is important as well as personal preferences in BCs so it is hard to guess what would work for you. What are your preferences, what styles etc. have you tried so far and liked or disliked? If you don't know yet, it might be good to figure that out first.

I wouldn't really think of buying "beginner" equipment - for recreational gear it's not like a beginner needs any less quality or whatever than someone more experienced. And after awhile you will not be a beginner and you wouldn't want to be replacing everything if you can help it.

I personally dislike fixed packages because there's a good chance all the pieces aren't going to be the right ones for you or what you would choose if you did it separately. Often better if you can build your own package or make substitutions and get a package price, but I think Scubatoys will give you some options.

thanks so much for your advice....First, let me say that based on what you said maybe a "package" is not the right approach, but let me provide some random details/thought processes:

-I am very comfortable in the water and have loved the water very much all my life and it will not take extreme depths or even colorful scenery to please me, therefore I plan to keep my diving relatively shallow and close (Atlanta, GA)
-I will be certified next month
-Once certified, I plan on doing mostly quarry, spring, and shore dives (southeast USA).
-I prefer a back inflate BCD
-I loved the fit of the Knighthawk (still unsure about the weight system), but would like to try on the Brigade before making a final decision
-I noticed some packages (that "could" save money) on scubatoys that include the brigade
-I know nothing about regs and consoles

perhaps it is in my best interest to research regs and consoles as I have done the BCDs before even thinking of such questions :). I guess, the original question should have been more to the effect of: What are your suggestions, for a beginner wanting to purchase a scuba system given a certain budget?

Call Larry or Joe at ScubaToys. Although they have "packages" on their website, they also custom build packages depending on what your desires are. IMO they have unbeatable customer service, and they will help you pick the type of gear you want, and sell it to you at a fabulous price.

Trying things on is a great idea, and ScubaToys will not only help you fit your BC perfectly, they'll send a replacement out immediately if the first one isn't perfect. IMO you simply cannot go wrong with Zeagle.

Fndmylove, you’re lucky
I had no choice than internet since only 1 DS in the country w/ very limited choice. Having spent so many hours for searching, learning, reviewing, and comparing from J111R, Morphos, Islander, Reefrider, Tortuga, XT ect. on most of dive (web) sites – my heart and my pocket fell to ST Brigade package. Then PM Joe/Larry asked for few options and upgrades of reg., computer + small stuffs, impressive responses, got a very good deal. Unfortunately could not place order through web since country is not listed – simply order via PM; believe now the package on the way to 6000 miles destination and (hopefully) next week getting wet in south china sea.
:monkeydan :monkeydan :bfish:

I would wait until AFTER you are certified until you buy equipment, even if you don't plan to buy it from your LDS. You should at least give them a chance to be competitive. If you show up in class with new "internet" equipment, you may not get a warm welcome. I'm not saying that will happen, but it can and does happen.

DiveMaven: Thanks for your input, I have heard good things about scubatoys.

Wisnu: I hope you enjoy your purchase buddy.

TheRedHead: Thanks for the tip. I was definitely planning on waiting until I get certified...I'm just trying to do my research in the meantime.

fndmylove:
TheRedHead: Thanks for the tip. I was definitely planning on waiting until I get certified...I'm just trying to do my research in the meantime.
good to hear, in most cases that's best. Not only because of maybe showing up with gear bought someplace else, but once you've gotten a few dives in your preferences will probably evolve. By all means do the research, it's fun too. IMO regs are something where you will learn much more from research than from seeing or trying them

I just recently bought BC, reg, octo, pressure gauge and computer from Leisure pro. The pre-made packages they had weren't 100% to my liking, so I was going to buy piece by piece. To my amazement, when I asked them, the agreed to give me a package price on the "custom" pieces I was choosing! And it was a considerable discount!!!!:coffee:

So I got my custom gear at a package price!:D Also, I got great service from Leisure pro. This said, I don't know if Scubatoys can do this... But they seem to have good service so why not ask them too? Or even your LDS if you want to give them a chance to give a good price...

I just wanted to bring foreward the point that if you shop properly, you can get a pretty good custom package out there!!! You don't need to settle for the so-so packages offered.

Have fun shopping!

It's important to look at WHY you want a certain type of gear. Example: You want a back inflation BCD. Why? Back inflation BCD's are not my recommendation for beginners. The buoyancy or lift is behind you, which has a tendency to push your face down into the water while at the surface when the jacket is fully inflated. In an emergency situation, when you inflate the BCD totally, face down is not a position you want to be in. To try and remain face up, it requires a bicycling move with your fins which is very fatiguing in a very short period of time. The reason we recommend the jacket style is because it will hold you vertically out of the water very easily making it much more comfortable at the end of a dive. And for those that just can't stand it, we have a combo BCD which has all the benefits of a back mount, plus the benefits of a jacket and has been a "tester's choice" and "Best Buy" per scubalab ratings, the Aeris XT BCD. Take a look at our packages with the Aeris XT, which are both in your price range with great features: http://crazyscuba.com/pd_aeris_xt.cfm
http://crazyscuba.com/pd_rio.cfm

Our packages will be changing in the next few days, so there will be some changes.

We've been here 21 years, we test dive the gear we sell and we sell both back mount and jacket style BCD's. We have over 103 vendors, but we don't list them all on the web. If you have any questions or need fitting advice I'll be happy to help.

Thanks,
Britt :fish:
:fish:

Back
Top Bottom