Travelling from Cairo to Hurghada/Marsa Alam and back again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

occrider

Contributor
Reaction score
So instead of spending all my time on a liveaboard for my first trip to Egypt, I was thinking instead of flying in and out of Cairo, spending some time doing land based activities, and then travelling to Hurghada or Marsa Alam for the liveaboard, and then going back to Cairo for my flight out. My question is, how easy is this to do and how expensive is it to get around in Egypt? I definitly gravitate towards the "budget" sections of my lonely planet guide books and I'm not afraid of local busses (so long as they are safe and easy to use). However, I'm really ignorant with respect to the geography involved along with the realities of travelling in Egypt (as an english speaker). Sorry for the 20 questions between my other post and this one, but I like to plan things out to maximize my travel experience! Thanks!

It takes around 6 hours from Cairo to Hurghada and busses are in good shape, especially those of SuperJet. It costs something like 80 LE (14 USD). The distance is 450 KM.

A Bus to Marsa Alam is a nightmare. There's only one company operating there with low-quality buses. It costs something like 80 LE (14 USD) also, although the distance is 720 KM.

The busses are safe.

and pray that they turn their headlights on if it's dark....that was the scariest part of my trip!

Hmmm how much would a round trip flight from Cairo to Marsa Alem run me should the liveaboard leave from that port?

There is no flights to Marsa Alam that I know of. The Marsa Alam Airport receives direct flight from abroad but not within Egypt. Maybe Asser knows something I don't know.

domestic flights cairo - marsa alam and vv have been postponed. i travelled haurghada - cairo on coach myself. el guna, quite comfortable, quite cheep too. so cheep, the next time i book two seats.

out of hurghada i would take a taxi to marsa alam airport. your hotel or lob should be able to pick you up. or make a stop on the way and do some diving in safaga, el quesir or mangrovebay. diveshops usually are very helpful in arranging transportation. again cheeper than the hotel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom