Windmill Power on Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/4184107.html

I just saw this article. I think Windmills generating electricity in Hawaii is a great idea! If there is one place in the world that we need to keep as polution free as possible it is Hawai'i

What are the thoughts of you guys who live there? Good or Bad? I've heard some groups don't like the Windmills because they are noisy. Which I guess is another form of polution.

None-the-less I think this is a great thing.

There is a wind plant in Waikoloa and south point. Both were federal funded and given to Hawaii. They were never maintained and are now ruined. I would expect more of the same...The cement plant has a few and they work great.

Wind and wave power are great ideas and will help some, but what happens when Oahu's population hits 2-3 million? Where will the power and more importantly the potable water come from? Wind and wave power won't hack it for that population size and they also can't make the spare power for a desalinization plant.

Where I lived before I moved to Hawaii there were several windmill "farms". I couldn't say that they were really loud. That aside, I've often asked why they are not using wind and waves as energy sources and was pretty much told what WC said. It will be built, but maintaining it? Won't happen. All you have to do is look at our roads and sewage pipes to know that this is true. Very sad. Very, very sad.

There was one geothermal plant built on the big island. Why no more? It is an ideal thing and it wouldn't be hard to run power to the rest of the islands either. As long as there is free money to be had, people will thke advantage of it and abuse it. If you think Hawaii is bad, you should see where Im at now. 22 students and they are putting in high speed internet at a cost of 3 million dollars, for the students to do home work......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom