recommendations/ideas on compressors for commercial operation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thorwald

New
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice or a forum to get feedback on compressors, nitrox packages, etc.

The only brands I see are Bauer and Coltri (MaxAir). We know Bauer. ANybody has experiences with other brands?

Any recommendations on system design for a liveaboard doing up to 4 dives a day for up to 18 people?

Look forward to your feedback.

Thorwald

Bauer and Mako are the units I have seen the most longevity from.

Have the larger coltri units been in service that long?

I agree that the smaller home size units generally don't have a reputation for longevity, although I have no personal knowledge of that.

One advantage of the Bauer is the ability to get parts VERY easily......all over the world. If I were doing it again, I would definately go Bauer.

..........where was someone with this type of advice when I bought MY store compressor. Oh well, live and learn.

Phil Ellis

Thorwald, 4 dives X 18 people, daily? You are talking military power. You could buy three or four Davey diesel powered compressors for less than 5 grand. Hoist one on board (weighs about 1 ton complete with undercarriage) and keep the rest for spares, etc. The Davey pumps 15 cfm. The 1MC1A goes to 3500 psi, the MCII to 4000. Don't hesitate too long. The US govt is selling these machines by the dozen. Some have less than 200 hours. You should also acquire a few DOT high pressure air storage cylinders plus manifolds for cascading. See govliquidation.com

Another vote for the gov site. It's where mine came from and I got a great deal on a great compressor.

Brent

If you're doing a liveaboard for 18 people for 4 dives per day, that's a lot of fills per day.

Why not put in two or more compressors and a cascade bank system? The second (or third) compressor will add redundancy in case of a failure of the primary compressor. When you're on a liveaboard at sea, spare parts aren't always available in case you only have one compressor and it dies. If that's the case (with 1 compressor) you'll have 18 pissed off divers. You'll want backup compressors

A cascase system would help this setup also.

By the way... where is your liveaboard going to be?
got a website yet?

Thorwald:
The only brands I see are Bauer and Coltri (MaxAir).

MaxAir is one of about a dozen different distributors of the Coltri Compressors (one of the most expensive, I might add). I have been importing them since last fall and they have come to me with different names on them each shipment. While it is true that the small compressors have had a bad reputation, it is because the distributors were not giving their customers the proper information on running and storing them. None of the other models have had the same problems, though. And parts are available all over the world.

I just delivered a very cool machine that has a twin compressor system so that you can run one or both systems for a maximum capacity of 21CFM. Plus, if one is down for service, you always have the other available. Eventually, every compressor has to be shut down for service so having a back-up is very important.

worthingtons have a good representation.

I own a Bauer K14

Having trouble with one of my small compressors. Does anyone know inor between which stage to start looking for a problem when the compressor will only put 400 - 500 psi?

Back
Top Bottom