Atomic Z2 reg with other brand octo - okay to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dstrain

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So far I've heard that mixing brands when it comes to regs and octos is either not a problem or best avoided. I'm on a tight budget and getting both an Atomic reg and octo is just out of my range at the moment. I'm looking to get an Atomic Z2 reg and perhaps a lower-end octo along the lines of the following:

Mares Brigade Viper
Oceanic Slimline 2
Aeris A1
Tusa SS-10

Does anyone have some advice on this matter?

Thanks!

Just an aside: My LDS still had Z1 octo's available last year which were not much more than the other octo options.

YMMV :)

Bjorn

I'd buy 2 Z2s (or Z1s if you can find them). It comes in an "octopus" version (second stage only, in yellow).

The "octo" is going to be your reg as soon as someone comes up and mugs you for your primary, so going cheap is only going to make things difficult for you.

Terry

dstrain:
So far I've heard that mixing brands when it comes to regs and octos is either not a problem or best avoided. I'm on a tight budget and getting both an Atomic reg and octo is just out of my range at the moment. I'm looking to get an Atomic Z2 reg and perhaps a lower-end octo along the lines of the following:

Mares Brigade Viper
Oceanic Slimline 2
Aeris A1
Tusa SS-10

Does anyone have some advice on this matter?

Thanks!

I'm in the same situation. I plan on getting the Atomic B2 but can't afford another expensive octo. I don't see a problem with the octos you listed as long as they are serviced as they should be.

I have a Z1 and a sherwood octo bungeed around my neck. Just about on every dive I will breathe off the octo. It works.....thats what counts,,,right? Big differance between the two as the z1 breaths like a dream right side up and upside down. If your buying your octo from a LDS just have him install it and breathe off of it. They might be able to adjust it for you if needed

No problem mixing and matching. All the ones you listed will operate at the same presure range. I think around 125 PSI. If your going to use those octo make sure you get a longer primary hose 32"+.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom