Another "my first gear" question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjpv

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been diving a few months, renting gear from the LDS. Only thing keeping me from diving more is that I have to rent gear from the LDS.

So I am thinking about buying myself a scuba set-up. The only problem is, only having ever used the LDS rental gear, I have no real sense of what I need. Looking online and at my LDS, it is really amazing how much price variation there is between the cheaper and the more expensive regulators or BCDs etc etc.

So my question is, being a poor student, how do I figure out what to get? Obviously I need gear that will be reliable, but I don't want to spend more than I have to (ie, more than I can afford).

Relevant information: diving off southern California (ie water temps 50s+, no ice diving), basic OW and eventually AOW. No tec, no caves, nothing that would require special equipment.

Any advice? Before I despair at being unable to detect a difference between a $300 reg and a $1000 reg?

You can read reviews by ScubaLab at Scubadiving.com of various types of gear. Everyone has slightly different feelings about their gear, but the good news is that there really aren't any "bad" regulators out there. BCs are really personal preference, but the most important thing is to narrow down what type you want...jacket, back inflate, or BP/W.

When I was buying my first gear, I read the reviews, spoke to some folks, called Larry at ScubaToys and bought myself an inexpensive Zeagle Envoy setup. My research had shown that it had nearly perfect scores in ScubaLab testing, and after over 2 years of use, I wouldn't trade it in for anything. Actually, my husband's more expensive regs have had a couple of problems while my Envoy has been perfect. :D

Whether or not you spend the money for a computer will be another personal choice. You'll have to decide if you want air integrated, wireless, a basic one, or simply go with analog gauges and use the tables. If you decide to buy a computer, you'll have to then decide if you want more conservative or more liberal, with both being within the recreational tables.

For me, with the type of customer service and support that Zeagle, Oceanic, and Aeris have shown over and over on this board, these are my "go-to" brands nowdays. My first stop for shopping is always ScubaToys, not just because they have amazing prices and give ScubaBoard folks a 10% discount, but again because of their amazing customer service and excellent knowledge of dive gear. They'll also put together a killer custom package deal for you if you want.

Call the guys at CrazyScuba.com. They'll answer your questions and give you great service. They aren't a big giant store, they're a small LDS that really cares, and they'll give you great prices too. I love em!

C U underwater, :snorkel:
ScubaDivaDivemaster

Best advise is to buy the right stuff first!!! Dont do what most (including me) did. Buy a set of gear only to replace it piece by piece almost imediately. Happy Diving Take your time and research your needs you wont regret it!

Do you like the stuff you've been renting? It's almost winter time and some shops switch their rental equipment to newer models for spring, maybe you can buy one of their rental sets. My first regulator came out of a rental string, I think I paid $250 for it which wasn't a bad deal at all.
Ber :lilbunny:

I second Ber's advice on checking for used gear through the LDS. . .I'm a fairly new diver as well. My BC, reg, and gauges all came used from the LDS when they were doing the 6 month rental gear clean out....I've been more then happy with the gear and it did give me a price break over buying all new right off the bat.
Also, keep in mind that a local shop might be willing to offer incentives that an online retailer can't. With mine, it's free use of wetsuit and tank w/air fill for a year after purchasing a BC/reg combo.
Ask your LDS what they can offer, call the other shops mentioned and see what they advise, read up on gear reviews, and have fun with your new gear!

Back
Top Bottom