One dry-mouth solution ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MN Lakeman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Any other divers REALLY get annoyed by dry-mouth during salt water dives? I decided to ponder a solution to this problem. First, after googling SB, as well as www, I discovered there is a company that came up with a clever water bladder rig that literally hooks up to your 2nd stage mouth piece & attaches to the hose, but it really looks odd & cumbersome - & in 5 years of diving I've never seen a diver use one. Then one day I was @ REI buying some camping gear, & I noticed these cool little bottles used by runners that attach to a belt around the waste - I bought a few. 'Took one on a local lake dive this summer - works GREAT! You can tuck one in each pocket of your BC, pull one out, momentarily remove your 2nd, pull the pop top with your teeth, take a squirt, pop it back down & relief.

The other great thing with this (for me at least) is that due to a stubborn ear that doesn't clear all the time, swallowing works every time - & fresh water tastes a lot better than the salty stuff :wink:

My wife has been using a product called scuda and she loves it

Lakeman;

What regulator are you using? I used to get drymouth from rental gear. When I purchased my gear, I bought a Mares V16 Proton which is all metal. I have been using it for 2 1/2 years and I never get drymouth.

TOM

I've noticed that as long as I'm properly hydrated and breathing less than EAN40, my mouth doesn't get dry...

Are you properly hydrated?

I just take a drink of water when I get thirsty.. oh wait, you said salt water. Try the unit from DSS.

Great idea using the Capri Sun pack (didn't think of putting over fluids in the bottle, like gatorade, etc). Actually, I did recently purchase a new Atomic B2 reg w/ Titanium 2nd - it helped, but my dives are usually pretty long - I'm almost always the last one on the boat, so towards an hour UW (like nearly all my recent Bonaire dives) I'm DRY. I've always practiced sensible hydrating habits, so doesn't seem to be a factor. Also, I'm not into the bio-filter - another maintenance item on to-do-list (besides you can't tell me there isn't a mold problem possible).

My dives are beginning to approach 2 hours each. Though I am not in salt water. I am thinking of one of those hydration packs.

I wonder if this would cure my dislike of diving salt water...

Good thread. Do you have a link to the REI product you bought?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom