where to go at with the water so low?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

booth22

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Thinking of diving this weekend... I'm guessing Scorpion Bay is probably a real pain to get into now... I'm guessing that leaves Desert Tortoise? Anybody have any other spots/suggestions?

I haven't been to the lake since the end of August, and the G&F site is about a week behind, so I'm not sure where the lake level is at. I'm guessing based on the 9/8 report that it's not much different than what it was last month. That basically leaves Desert Tortoise. Scorpion Bay is inaccessible without a long surface swim and is pretty shallow right now. Dirty Shirt is too busy on the weekends. Too many boaters and jet skiers. Desert Tortoise covers a lot of territory, so it's not too crowded. At the end of the road, you can still get some depth from shore. The drawback is there isn't as much to see there as there is at Scorpion Bay. But hey, we're getting wet! I've searched most of the road accessible areas of the lake with no luck. If anyone knows a site, let me know! The water level will start to rise again towards the end of the year. We just have to deal right now.

We were way out Desert Tortoise rd last weekend. After going down back side of the third island, we took a left and went to the point. Some other people came and mentioned that they had found a small sink hole in the area. It didn't sound to deep or too big. I'd like to go back out and find it sometime soon. I think it might have been Shark.Byte.USA that was diving it. He might be able to give you better directions to the area.

We may try Mojave in a few weeks. You’re more than welcome to check that out with us.

Let us know if you find anyplace new at Pleasant.

CB

Craig, the sink hole is about 4 feet deep and 5 feet in diameter. It's concave around the edges. There's a thermocline inside it. It should be at about 30 feet right now. Just enter the water off Desert Tortoise across from Burro Island. Go towards Burro Island to 30 feet and head towards the left. You should find it no problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom