Need more reg advice: Zeagle Envoy Deluxe or Aeris Atmos Pro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dstrain

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As I continue to search for what to buy as my first reg I think I've narrowed the field down to Zeagle, and possibly Aeris. I was shooting for Atomic but my budget just won't allow it.

So, after scouring the boards here it seemed that the Zeagle Envoy Deluxe would make a fine regulator to start with, and at a price of $225 from Scubatoys (matching Leisurepro's price) it seems like a really good deal and in my budget. So I called up Larry and right off the bat he suggested I spend a bit more ($50 or so) and go for the Aeris Atmos Pro regulator for better breathing performance and the fact that it's environmentally sealed. Now I'm confused again. I trust his advice, but I also trust the overwhelming positive reviews given to Zeagle regs on this board, as well as the great reviews they've received on scubadiving.com.

So now I'm obsessing on whether I need a sealed reg, so I checked out the prices on the Zeagle ZX/DSV and I they run $285 or so from Leisurepro (the Aeris Atmos Pro is $265), which Scubatoys will match.

I'm inclined to go with Zeagle as their prices are great, the reviews are great, and their customer service is great. Should I spend the extra $60 or so for the sealed reg? Or will I be fine with the Envoy Deluxe? I live in Texas so my winter diving will be in local lakes with temps around 55 degrees or so, in the summer it'll be 82 degrees on average.

Right now my budget is pretty maxed out. The extra $60 will get me a long way towards a wetsuit, other accessories, etc. If the Envoy Deluxe will serve me well for the next year or two I'll be happy with that and can upgrade later on. If a sealed reg is absolutely necessary then I guess I can spend it now. Just a bit uncertain here.

Advice or suggestions?

I own both of them and much prefer the Zeagle Envoy. The swivel on the Aeris is just a design flaw. The hose on the 2nd stage is constantly in motion. Zeagles are solid regulators. I currently dive Apeks, but my Envoy is used on deco bottles. My Areis is a paperweight.

I have not tried the Oceanic you are talking about here, but have a Zeagle. Really like the Zeagle. I do have many Oceanic product and have no complaints. I still use one of their regulators I got in 1985ish.

Both are top customer service companies.

I'm no expert but I love my Envoy Deluxe. I also worried over whether or not to get a sealed model (ZX/DS-V) but after talking to my LDS guy, I opted for the Envoy Deluxe. I couldn't see spending the extra bucks if I most likely wasn't going to need the environmental seal. You may not be aware of this, but Zeagle offers a kit to add an environmental seal to the first stage and heatsink to the second stage if you so desire. So I decided that if I need it later, then I can add it. Not a bad deal, huh?

Anyhow, I've had the reg in 55F water temps with no problems. I'm definitely a happy Zeagle customer.

I just bought a Zeagle DS-VI in a pinch (my just-serviced-for-a-lot-of-money regulator is futu) from Scubatoys. Wonderful service, wonderful regulator. It seems like the best deal around. I didn't want an Atomics, not only because they're not environmentaly sealed, but because the venturi adjustment is automatic. Please don't take this the wrong way (I'm not rich), but I guess I can buy any regulator I want and I've mulled over what you're mulling over for the same reasons and have realized that the difference in cost between the DS-VI and the (tempting) Envoy Deluxe is probably less than the cost of the upgrade/shipping cost. I hadn't realized that the Atmos Aeros Pro had better breathing characteristics than the Envoy and I would be interested in reading about this.
dave

Re the above. I meant DS-V, not DS- VI. Same deal you're talking about.

serrada:
I have not tried the Oceanic you are talking about here, but have a Zeagle. Really like the Zeagle. I do have many Oceanic product and have no complaints. I still use one of their regulators I got in 1985ish.

Both are top customer service companies.

It isn't an Oceanic regulator, Oceanic has nothing like it in the line. It Aeris all the way!

Back
Top Bottom