Rigging for 2 left deco tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MechDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to this board, and just finished my trimix class.

I am trying to get ideas for carrying 2 alum 40 deco tanks on the left.

If anyone has a URL or description on how best to do this, it would be appreciated. I can't see hooking both tanks to the d-rings, and invision a Y cord of somesort that hangs from the chest and has 2 connectors?

Phil

Welcome to the board!!!! Here is your first response.
You just took a Trimix course and your instuctor didnt teach you this. Not to be rude but you should of learned this along time ago. Ask your instructor.

Welcome to the board. I've recently starting diving with both my stages on the left, and I just use the same D-ring for both. I haven't really noticed anything that would indicate it would be better to have a "Y-type" attachment. But as I said, I'm new to this setup, and so I'd love to hear peoples' suggestions as well.

Josh

Inquiring minds would like to know?

Three Al 40's will fit on those d-rings no problem. So two should not be a problem. I am guessing here that if your instructor did not cover anything of this nature that he use not a believer of DIR. Sounds like to me that you are playing with DIR system. IF I am correct, don't try to learn it on your own. Go find some people that dive DIR and learn it from them.

Kevin Jones

Thanks for the feedback. We did not cover both stages on the left in classes due to mutual choice, as it isn't germaine to anything other than DIR and scooters. Neither of which we fall all over ourselves about.

I was looking into this as a setup choice, and because one of my dive partners uses a video camera in the right hand. He was looking for alternatives to keeping the right side clean because of the camera.

As far as the DIR thing goes, I have been following that for years. Some of it works, some of it doesn't. I had just not been able to find detailed info on hanging 2 stages on the left. I would have guessed that having both attached to the same d-ring would cause them to bang together all the time. I'll give it a try that way though and see how it works for me.

As far as learning this a long time ago, why? One stage on each side works perfectly well.

Thanks again.

Phil

You can unclip one of the stages on your left and reclip it on the waist D ring so that it is in the slip steam of the other. This can be helpful when scootering. When you go to deco, you can replace it where it was originally.

Robert:doctor:

MechDiver

Can you tell me what part of DIR doesn't work and why?

Next you said that rigging the deco tanks on the left is only germaine to DIR and scooters. Then you indicated that it would also work for camera use!! Hello....

I don't think that you have the experience to actually make valid and germaine comments about a DIR configuration. This is supported by the fact that you don't even know how rigging deco bottles on the left is done. This is only one of a number of basic elements of DIR.

omar

omar once bubbled...
MechDiver

Can you tell me what part of DIR doesn't work and why?

Next you said that rigging the deco tanks on the left is only germaine to DIR and scooters. Then you indicated that it would also work for camera use!! Hello....

I don't think that you have the experience to actually make valid and germaine comments about a DIR configuration. This is supported by the fact that you don't even know how rigging deco bottles on the left is done. This is only one of a number of basic elements of DIR.

omar

No, I am not getting into the DIR/non-DIR thing because its a waste of time. Thats why I don't go to rec.scuba anymore. I came here to ask a simple question, not get in a pissing match about DIR.
How do you know what my experience is? Do we dive together? Have we met in another life? You don't know a thing about me, but you're ready and willing to make statements about what I think and don't know. I know what the basic elements of DIR are, I already said that if you would read it.

Thanks to those who offered advice. I'll be going now, as this is just another place to argue stupid points about nothing instead of seeking knowledge.

Ticked off the dark hordes, didn't you? Way to go! :thumb: I used to award points for this, but it's become so easy to do that I had to stop. :)

A couple of 40's will sling easily from the left side without banging around too much unless you've got your snap-bolts tied too close to the tanks. You don't need any special rigging, but I've found that large snap-bolts and an offset hip ring make things easier to work with.

Practice makes all things easier.

Steven

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom