Naui Nitrox dive tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laserdoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In the process of getting Nitrox certified, The girlfriend is freaking over all the math and formulas that are in the text. She is also having trouble with the tables,especially on repetitive dives. Anyone take the Naui test lately?? How hard is it??

laserdoc:
Anyone take the Naui test lately?? How hard is it??
All NAUI tests are a chore! The nitrox test has 50 multiple choice questions. Several questions involve profiles based on the tables.

Nitrox isn't a hard class. The test reflects the material - no real tricks or hidden curriculum, she just has to understand the content. By paying attention to the icons in the textbook, she can identify many of the items that are going to be on the test.

laserdoc:
In the process of getting Nitrox certified, The girlfriend is freaking over all the math and formulas that are in the text. She is also having trouble with the tables,especially on repetitive dives. Anyone take the Naui test lately?? How hard is it??

I took in 2 years ago. All the questions come directly from the book. I had a good instruction that pointed out parts that we need to remember. I think we only have one person fail.

Don't fret if she does not pass she can take it again:D

...can she do this? Nitrox is maybe 5th grade math. :) She probably isn't having problems with the math, she's probably having issues remembering where to apply it. :wink:

1.4 / (%mix) = MOD in ata
and
1.4 / (ata) = best mix

That's all the math you really need to know. This assumes that she can convert from fsw to atm to ata...
33fsw = 1atm
ata = atm + 1

So for an MOD example using 32% assuming 1.4ppO2:
1.4 / 0.32 = MOD of 111fsw or 3.36atm or 4.36ata

Best mix example assuming 130fsw max depth and 1.4ppO2:
130fsw = 3.93atm or 4.93ata
1.4 / 4.93 = 0.28 = 28%

Another way: Check whether the instructor will allow her to use the Ocean X. As long as she is familiar with it, she can find answers to any of the profile questions that will be on the test.

There are different ways to reach any answer, depending on the best way a person learns things: (a) the formulae, (b) Ocean X, (c) tables in the book, or (d) the circle T. Different instructors teach (or don't teach) in different ways and its always worth figuring out the instructor's appraoch -- especially when the learning starts to slow down.

laserdoc:

The math is not that difficult is you study. It is basically manipulating one algebraic formula. The NAUI NITROX course book also gives the "circle "T"" picture for those who might be put off by simple algebra.

I took the NAUI NITROX exam and passed it with a score of 100% and I am 52 years old and have not had an algebra course since I was in ninth grade at age 15.

My daughter also passed the exam and she is not even out of her freshman year in high school.

Thanks guys,,,, Her instructor did say she can use the Ocean-X wheel for everything.
The circle T forumula is the same one used in Electronics for Ohms Law.

Back
Top Bottom