VT3 Dive Computer Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ambress

Reaction score
Hello all,

On July 10, I bought a VT3 from my local Oceanic Dealer, Lone Star Scuba. That was in anticipation of a trip to Anthony's Key Resort which I have just returned from and unfortunately never got to see the VT3 in action. Prior to my trip, a pool session with my dive gear and the VT3 revealed no problems, but I am presently looking at a serial number page display that has been present on the VT3 ever since late Monday morning. Thankfully, I had my Datatrans Plus with me during the initial dive on Sunday as a backup and wound up using it all week. I never got to see how much more stable the wireless link on the VT3 is and instead spent my dives periodically reaching back toward the transmitter to re-synch the Datatrans Plus. But, back to the VT3 for the scenario:

On Sunday morning, I started the VT3 and quickly went through the various setup options to be sure all were as I intended. I'd not read the manual recently and thought I remembered everything, yet inadvertently placed the VT3 into GAUGE mode. No big deal...well, not unless you forget about it and do a quick skills check with a resort divemaster, jumping into the water and activating the VT3 in GAUGE mode. Once activated, GAUGE mode cannot be exited for 24 hours. So, I pulled out my Datatrans Plus and wore both on my first dive, which was to 80 feet. Checking my manual and learning of the 24-hour wait period to clear the GAUGE mode, I took off the VT3 after my first dive and by the next day's 2nd dive, it had cleared and the display was blank. Good news...although 3 dives behind me made the VT3 useless for tracking my nitrogen loading, at least I could still put it to the test of tracking my dives and seeing how it works, right? Wrong. Upon powering up the VT3, the serial number display appeared and no switch action would clear it. After waiting far more than the 2 minutes for it to revert to the normal screen, which didn't happen, I removed the battery for 10 minutes, replaced it, powered up the VT3, and again saw the serial number screen. Repeating the battery removal for 30 minutes, again the same problem appeared. Oh, and the firmware is rev 1A for whatever that's worth.

So, it appears I've got a faulty unit and will be returning it to Lone Star Scuba for their assistance in getting it replaced or serviced by Oceanic. I just wish this hadn't happened, as I don't get to go diving often and any repaired/replaced computer may well not see deep water again until sometime next year. :(

A bit of advice to potential VT3 owners with a dive trip in their future....if you can, check it out at more realistic dive depths to see if there are any problems. In lieu of having deep water available, perhaps have a dive shop test the watch in a pressure chamber to see how it responds.

Doug....a question for you...While I expect to go to Lone Star Scuba on Monday, I don't know how long the battery will last under this constant display condition. I would assume that if the computer is shipped back to Oceanic and can be seen in this stuck state before the battery does die, then that could be useful. However, do you think that is unlikely to truly be useful and would you recommend I go ahead and remove the battery to shut the unit down? Thanks.

Daryl

Daryl,

I've recently made Doug aware of my battery issue. As of last contact, he was not aware of a battery issue for the VT3, so mine may be an isolated issue after logging roughly 8 dives on it and downloading them twice.

It was agreed that I should change the battery and make some more dives on the product to determine if there is a genuine issue. I know Oceanic stands behind their product and would like to be made aware of issues that come up. I have yet to dive again (stuffed up today) after the battery change.

Diverdown,

Can you point me to the thread about your battery issue? I'm not familiar with what you're referring to. I don't expect the problem I'm seeing to be a battery problem and I could easily swap out the battery with a brand new one to see if that changes anything. However, until I hear from Doug, I'm reluctant to remove the original battery if there's a chance the VT3 can get back to Oceanic in the current display state. If there is a way for Oceanic to diagnose the current operating state the computer is in without removing the battery, they may be able to learn something new about another potential problem in the VT3.

Regards,

Daryl

I hadn't posted a thread about the issue as it's "technically" not a true issue as of yet. Since your product is new, it should be under warranty. I would suggest that on Monday you call Oceanic and speak with a tech person about the issue before changing the battery, just a CYA thing.

If they say change the battery, then do so since batteries for the computer are relatively inexpensive. Then be sure to dive the computer again so you can find out if in fact the unit needs sent back.

It sounds more like a button problem than a battery problem, likethe switch stays activated so goes to serial number.

Regardless of the problem we will be replacing your computer. Don't worry about the battery not lasting so we don't get to see the problem. We work on the assumption that if you go thru the all that trouble there is a problem!
PM me if you need any assistance.

Best,

Chris

Chris,

Thanks....I'd not even thought about the possibility of a switch problem since the VT3 had worked before taking it to any substantial depth, but perhaps that was the catalyst in the problem arising. I'll just take the VT3 into Lone Star SCUBA tomorrow and let them handle the return for me; meanwhile, I'll keep the transmitter since I know it works, having used it with the DataTrans Plus.

Thanks again,

Daryl

Hello all,

While I can't report on the functionality until I do another dive, which may not be before next year, I am happy to report I have a new VT3 kit in my hands. I wasn't sure what kind of turnaround to expect from Oceanic on my failed unit, but after leaving my failed VT3 with Lone Star SCUBA on 9/18/06, a replacement was received from Oceanic on 10/6/06...barely over 2 weeks. That is happily quick service in my book, and I'd nearly guess that had I had an urgent need for a replacement, Oceanic might've even expedited the process. I just have a feeing they're that kind of company.

Regards,

Daryl

ambress:
That is happily quick service in my book, and I'd nearly guess that had I had an urgent need for a replacement, Oceanic might've even expedited the process. I just have a feeing they're that kind of company.

Regards,

Daryl

And you would have guessed correctly, Once the sun shined on my issue, and my work/dive situation was explained they over nighted a computer to a shop close to where I was going with all contact and return issues resolved before I got there. So all I had to do was trade one for the other.
I'll give credit when it's due, when these guys sink their teeth into an issue, It's resolved

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom