San Carlos Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azisme

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Went to San Carlos September 7-10 with Scuba Specialties. It absolutely poured the first night we were there. I was told there was a six inch deep river of water flowing through the lobby at the Marina Terra Hotel, which isn’t a big surprise if you have ever stayed there during a good rain.

We went out to San Pedro Island both days. I expected the water on the way out to be rougher than it was. It really wasn’t too bad. Three or four foot swells at the most. We saw a few dolphins about 200 yards away from the boat when we first got to the island, but that was it for them. The water at the island seemed somewhat stirred up from all the recent rain, but visibility was still pretty good. There were some sudden, strong currents at the north point of the island. Water temperature was a very pleasant 84°. I don’t know what the air temp was, but no one was shivering when they got back in the boat. Perfect temps as far as I am concerned. The sea lions were especially playful on this trip. I don’t usually interact with them that much, but I had a good time with them this trip.

Did a night dive at the "aquarium" which is a near shore spot. Visibility was very bad. From about 10' at 35' depth to about 25' at 60' depth. The current also started picking up at 50' to 60'.

Here is a link to some pictures I took:

http://www.members.cox.net/steveholtan

Nice pics. Sounds like you had a decent trip. The viz you report near shore is pretty typical for San Carlos area, at least the past couple years anyway. Where did you stay and what boat did you take out to the island?

This was I think my 9th trip to San Carlos in 4 years. I haven't done a night dive every trip, but this is the worst near shore visibility I have seen. I guess I can attribute this to the skills of boat captains finding the best spot for the current conditions on all my previous trips. This time there was just so much rain.

The boat was the Ocean Spirit, and the captains were Victor and Ernesto. I have done about half of my dives on that boat, including cerrtification.

The place we stayed at was the Marina Terra Hotel.

We've stayed at the Marina Terra and been diving on Gary's boats. We're trying a new approach this time - different hotel, different dive op, and we booked it ourselves. Quite a bit less expensive that way and I'm hoping the experience is better. I'll report when we return.

nice pictures. been to san carlos once before but didnt have the opportunity to dive. Would like to go back down there for some diving but that drive through mexico scares me.

There's no reason it should scare you, Jason. Mexico is pretty harmless. Just obey the traffic laws and you'll be fine. It's a very scenic ride. I get more problems from our guys when coming back across the line than I do from the Mexican soldiers at the check points.

Back
Top Bottom