Tek Transition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottSpencer

Contributor
Reaction score
Tek Transition

Next fall after another dive season’s experience I plan on pursuing a tek diving education (deco / mixed gas / penetration wreck diving) and am wondering what the consensus :D is on training organizations. I am leaning toward GUE and their DIR philosophy. The reason for this bias is because as a professional pilot my life depends on a methodical, standardized approach to both equipment and procedures and GUE seems to reflect this same philosophy. By next fall I will have over 120 dives in last three years, 20 or more between 100-130 on both fresh and saltwater wrecks (no penetration), SSI-AOW/NITROX/Stress&Rescue, 48 years old and able to pass GUE physical quals.

Thanks for the advice.

Scott,

Let me make the suggestion that you start your transition to tech. diving via cave training. Cave training focuses on some very basic skills (fin techniques and buoyancy control) that some times are not well covered in tech. training. Most student that I have scene in class with cave training do better than those with out the cave training. Some of my tech. dive buddies went to Florida to become cave divers and the training has greatly improved thier tech. diving.

As for GUE....good program. I would be hard pressed to suggest anything better.

Kevin Jones

Scott,

GUE/DIR is an excellent choice for you to transition to Tech diving. I would only add to Kevin's comments that you should take the Fundamentals class first. It really does show you the most basic skills that you'll need before moving on to cave 1 or tech 1. It's an eye opening experience.

There are quite a few DIR classes around your area, ie Ohio. Most are wrapping up for the season, but keep your eye on the boards for the springtime. You might also want to send Andrew Georgitsis or Mike Kane a note to let them know you're interested for a future class. Email: andrewg@fifthd.com and mhkane@prodigy.net

And to follow up on detroit diver's suggestions, we are working on bringing a DIR Fund. course to Kentucky in the spring. Keep your eyes open on the board for the anouncement when and if we get it all worked out.

Chad

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom