Question re: Mares Proton V16 Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just came back from Florida where I used my new Mares Proton V16 Regulator for the first time.

I was very happy with the way it performed and it was extremely easy to breathe at depth. One question though: Sometimes on inhalation I was aware of a little "horn-like" sound. Hard to explain but it was intermittent and sounded like one of the internal components might be flapping as I was inhaling at times.

Someone told me that some regs have this characteristic but I've never come across it before.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sy

No idea... my Mares MR12 honks from time to time also, at 4-10 feet. Breaths like a dream.

Many regulators will "honk" at a repeatable depth and breathing effort. I suspect that what is hapening is you're hitting a resonance somewhere in the second stage.

Hopefully, you bought your new V-16 here in Florida at Diver's Direct. They have the Proton Metal on sale for $250. A dozen dives and no horn yet. There is a Mares rep. you can contact as part of this site.

I bought my Mares V-16 Proton from Divers Direct almost three years ago. I do not get the honking sound at all. I know what you mean though. I get that when I rent gear from time to time.

I suggest having the reg checked by Mares. Something may be wrong with the diaphram inside the second stage?

TOM

Back
Top Bottom