Lost of Weight Pocket - Seaquest Pro QD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lonely Boy

Contributor
Reaction score
One of the weight pocket accidentally dropped out from my Seaquest Pro QD in my last dive. Does anyone here experienced such a problem before? Is there anyway to add some clip locks on it as safe measure?

My BC has only about 30+ dives. I have checked the Velco and there is no visually flattening or sticking of the pads.

What is your experience in preventing this happen again? Thanks for help.

My Seaquest Diva QD has over 70 dives and the velcro is still holding strong. Is the velcro clean? If you are beach diving, make sure you get the sand out of the velcro (as well as any other debris) becuase that interferes with its operation. Make sure you push the weight pockets all the way in. If they aren't all the way in, not as much of the pocket-velcro is in contact with the BC-velcro, so it might not hold as well. Also, be careful when you are putting the velcro together that you're doing it straight. Again, if you end up putting the pocket-velcro onto the BC-velcro crooked, you have less of it doing the gripping.

My velcro just went through a very ungraceful belly-slide entrance onto a boat in Cozumel during the tail end of hurricane Isadore last month without incident, so I believe that yours should "keep on sticking" for more than 30 dives.

Today, I made two dives using this BC and luckily the weight pockets were staying with me all the time.

However, I may later modify it to add a clip of something on it.

that exact bc, however my wife had problems with pouches dropping and we found that the velcro strip was stopping the pouch from fully seating when she placed it in. She now uses a strip of plastic (a cheap 3 ring binder cover) that she puts into the pocket before putting the pouch in. Trace the pouch and cut the plastic to that size. Make sure that you keep the plastic between the velcro strips of the pouch and pocket. then the plastic will slip right out and the pouch is fully seated. She hasn't had a problem since using this method.

You aren't alone.........

I have a Seaquest Pro Unlimited with about 40 dives on it. I lost one on a short surface swim. Velcro was in great shape and clean. The pocket was properly seated and all the Velcro was positioned correctly. And still it deep sixed! I was a bit steamed!

It appears we aren't alone........

Apparently Seaquest has gone to a new mechanical system of some sort.....see their website for details.

regards; jbm

I also realise that the new Seaquest BC has switched to a "Sure Lock" system. However, Seaquest replied that the existing Velco weight pocket cannot be modified to Surelock.

I like the build of my Pro QD, especially the tank band. But just the weight pocket is too unreliable.

to use some kind of clip (fastex-style, etc)

Velcro is just not secure enough for this use. You NEED to know that the weight will stay in unless you want it out - then it NEEDS to be able to be ditched.

Losing the weight unexpectedly at 100' could be very un-funny, especially if you didn't figure out exactly what happened until you were in the process of ascending and found that you couldn't stop on the way up!

I just got back from Monterey. I was using my brand new Seaquest Pro QD+. On about my 4th dive, I heard a "thud" and looked down to see my ditchable wieghts on the bottom of the ocean floor. Now let me tell you something, I checked and double-checked my wieght pockets by pushing on the velcro every chance I had (because I have heard of this happening). Luckily I was only 40 ft. at the time and my dive buddy was near to help out.

I believe this was due to one of three reasons: 1. My console (which I have attached to a retractor) may have caught the handle of the weights as I pulled to check my gauge, 2. The amount of weight I had in the pocket was too much for it (I had 10 lbs in that pocket, which it is supposed to be able to hold), or 3. Murphy's Law.

Whatever the case, I did not like the occurance. Looks like it has happened to quite a few of us...

I'm sorry to hear that your weights fell out of your BC. Did the entire weight pocket fall out? Or, did the velcro on the pocket come loose, and the weight fall out of the pocket?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom