TDI Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tchil01

Reaction score
I was looking at courses for this winter and these two are an option. Has anyone take these two and have an opinion, good or bad? HOw do they compare to the the other agencies courses.

Thanks
Ty

hi, ty. i went through the iantd course a couple of weeks back. can't say i can compare iantd to tdi per se - a brief glance of the standards and procedures should give you a good idea of what to expect.

tdi certifies you to 100% O2 whereas iantd instruction will be up to 50% (still, it's beyond recreational eanx). deep air is not the same as tdi deco (i think tdi deco is more involved) but you do learn and do deco diving (only up to 10 min deco when i took my class) in deep air.

the big thing for me when i took it was not because i want to routinely go beyond recreational limits but rather more on the other skills i could learn - lift bag deployment, better bouyancy control, equipment set-ups, etc.

the first confined water session for me was actually a shore dive at ~ 5M (15 feet). we spent 80 mins in the water where i learned how inadequate my skills were. i am a novice so that could be a big factor. we did all the recommended skills assessment stuff.

let's say that at the end of the course, i gained a significant appreciation of the proficiency required to get the BASIC skills
of eventually getting into technical diving. i think the mistakes i made helped me learn, otherwise i wouldn't know right from wrong, or more importantly, how to correct it.

Are you going to take them with Danny? If so, you will get a good education along with the cards. As with any course, the instructor makes it or breaks it. Some just give cards, and barely have any knowledge other than what is in the text books, and others, do not even have to open a text to teach you how to uses gases. Main thing to remember, a TDI course is not a DIR course, and you can therefore expect to hear some contradictory information. Don't get into a pissing match with the instructor about, "isn't it better to do this" or the like, just take what they teach, and then follow your own path as you gain experience.

Keep in touch, and we can try to get you out on the boat either over the winter if you are game or next season. The damn weather has been painfull this fall. Been blown out for almost 2 months straight!!

dive safe,

dan

NJ Wreck Finder once bubbled...
Are you going to take them with Danny? If so, you will get a good education along with the cards. As with any course, the instructor makes it or breaks it. Some just give cards, and barely have any knowledge other than what is in the text books, and others, do not even have to open a text to teach you how to uses gases. Main thing to remember, a TDI course is not a DIR course, and you can therefore expect to hear some contradictory information. Don't get into a pissing match with the instructor about, "isn't it better to do this" or the like, just take what they teach, and then follow your own path as you gain experience.

Keep in touch, and we can try to get you out on the boat either over the winter if you are game or next season. The damn weather has been painfull this fall. Been blown out for almost 2 months straight!!

dive safe,

dan

The courses are with Danny. I'm scheduled to go out on the Seeker this weekend to the Tolten if the weather holds. I'm going to try to talk with him about the courses between dives. I'm also looking a couple of other options too. He's not doing the Advanced Nitorx and Deco Procedures back to back this year. He has The Adv. Nitrox and a Gas Blender course together, then the Deco course on a differnt day.

I would definantly like to hook up and get out on your boat. I will shoot you a note with my email address. If you get a trip set up let me know.

Ty

tchil01
I teach for TDI and IANTD, you will learn very simular techniques in both classes. you will be required to do a lot of swimming with IANTD [which i don't think is so important]

as for it being DIR, i teach a lot of the DIR approch in my classes. I don't see the benifits in all it has to offer but i do introduce those techniques.

I would suggest taking the adv nitrox and deco procedures together as they go hand in hand very well.

gas blending should come after that, and maybe not even until you do the trimix course. it is just to easy to by nitrox.

TDI adv nitrox/deco procedures is equal to IANTD adv nitrox/Tech diver

I would base my final decision on who my instructor is more than my agency [between TDI and IANTD]

as for other courses
PADI - tec rec
ANDI
GUE
ETC.

I am not qualified to offer any sort of comparison on tec rec, ANDI, or GUE as I have not taken any courses from them

I am sure you will here from people on this board who have an oppinion about these agencies

I also think that who instructs you is very important. When I took the TDI trainning, we did a lot of valve drills, air sharing, and evaluation of equipment rigging. It was a lot more that what is just in the books. There is an active group of divers in VA Bch who do the deep, deco , trimix diving. We all try to "be on the same page". So, everybody knows how everyone else is rigged, what everyone is breathing. The agency is one thing the instructor and the people that you will be diving with is another matter.

Robert:doctor:

I am about to take the IATND Advanced Nitrox and Deep Diver combined. I was trying to get the TDI class with deco procedures, but the instructor for the IANTD classes is really good. He came highly recomended by divers and instructors that I trust.

Well anyway. I have done some decompression diving with no formal training. I know this was not the smartest thing, but It was not difficult to figure out. I know about SAC rates, CNS doeses, and everything that is required in a normal decompression dive. I decide before I contiue, that I should get some formal training. I know IANTD Adv NItrox is just a simulated deco with emphasis on gas switching, lift bag deployment, SAC's Partial pressures, etc.

I am now really serious about my diving and I want to get into more technical areas. I will be taking a DIRF class soon along with a cavern course.

I was hoping that the IANTD adv nitrox will allow me to use 100%O2. Should I just go the TDI route? I really do not want to spend the money for a class that teaches me what I know, and not buy pure O2, just so I have to take another class, do the dives and spend more money I really do not have just to get to the same C-card I would have gotten with the TDI class. I know the IANTD adv nitrox is a good class, and I really like the instructor, but I want to be utilizing O2 for deco.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO??

I'll add onto Aquatec's post

I teach ANDI and TDI, I chose not to align myself with IANTD because I disagree with all the swimming thats required.. I rather do dives and drill divers on dive skills rather than swimming and water threading.. If you aren't confortable in the water you probably wouldn't be attempting the dives required for these classes.

TDI anv nitrox plus deco procedures is ALmost equivalent to ANDI Tech diver.. The depth limit on tdi for the combo is 150, where ANDI is 165/50m.

ANDI has some more dive planning that is required (mostly dealing with planning for a dive team where members have different RMV and tank sizes). ANDI requires Isolation drills (TDI doesn't require it until Extended range or entry level trimix, I do it with all my students for all tech programs) plus a few additional minor skills/excercises.. finally the ANDI written exam is a b*tch.. if you have any weak areas academically you wount pass..

I'm attaching a file I put together over a year ago (not sure if there are any typos) but give it a look). I had a diver who couldn't understand why this concept is important.. look at the file its informative..

I have no problem recommending either class..

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom