snorkeling adult who can't swim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kellylynn

Registered
Reaction score
I have a dh who swims like a rock. We'll be in Cancun in a couple weeks, and though ds and I will be diving, dh loves to snorkel. He has only snorkeled in waist deep water, though, before. He has tried taking lessons, and just can't swim (other than a couple minutes of survival paddling).

So, how positively bouyant would he be in an exposure suit, or would it be too hot by the time the suit was thick enough to provide truly positive bouyancy (He's about 190lbs)? Salt vs fresh? Is he doomed to use a snorkel vest, and is THAT sufficient?
Thanks for any help!
Kelly

I don’t know how the others feel about this, but if he can’t swim how; can you let him in the water? This is an accident waiting to happen and if you are not a strong swimmer with rescue skills even worse.

But if you are going to be around with him when he attempts this, I would suggest you pile on the layers the more neoprene (new not worn and holey) the better as this will make him more buoyant but this can also be hard to move in so its a catch 22, and who cares if he gets hot, rather hot than a led weight.

But I have to say the sea is the WORST place for anyone if they can’t swim. I see this all the time here in South Africa over the Christmas period, because all our "previously disadvantaged (AA)" pile into the sea in the hundreds and 99% of them can’t swim. There are like 20 deaths every year because of this.

My parents went snorkeling on some cruise ship last summer and were required to wear snorkeling vests, much like a BC that's oral inflate only. The air was adjusted to get them to be the right depth in the water or something to that effect... they didn't complain about it at all. So I wouldn't consider it being "doomed" if he had to wear one...

I would consider any adult who cannot swim, yet is going snorkeling in the ocean, to be really foolish if they fail to wear some sort of snorkeling jacket or inflatable vest.

The problem is that so much can happen so quickly. Its a dynamic environment: between waves, currents, and tides you can find yourself "over your head" very suddenly.

There shouldn't be any stigma attached to wearing a snorkeling vest. It's safety gear, like a BC. You can dive without a BC and many folks do, but its much safer to use one. A vest should be adequate to float a 190 lb male.

It's particularly safety gear in the case of someone who can't swim. :wink:

Just MHO...

kellylynn:
I have a dh who swims like a rock. We'll be in Cancun in a couple weeks, and though ds and I will be diving, dh loves to snorkel. He has only snorkeled in waist deep water, though, before. He has tried taking lessons, and just can't swim (other than a couple minutes of survival paddling).

So, how positively bouyant would he be in an exposure suit, or would it be too hot by the time the suit was thick enough to provide truly positive bouyancy (He's about 190lbs)? Salt vs fresh? Is he doomed to use a snorkel vest, and is THAT sufficient?
Thanks for any help!
Kelly

He must make sure he does not get into a compromised situation.

You say he loves to snorkel, so we know that in a snorkeling position he can float. His remaining in waist deep water indicates a lack of comfort in the water and being unable to swim would be good cause. While he could probably skin-dive endlessly, fin on his back or bob vertically while snorkel breathing it's best to know that if he is distracted by something such as a cramp he will have a means of buoyant lift.

If he were in cooler water I'd suggest an appropriate wetsuit and the corresponding weight belt for when he decides to start diving down for a closer look, this could always be ditched for more byoyancy.

Since this is warm water some sort of suit is still a good idea for sun and sting protection somethinf in the 1-3 mm range will add a little securityand let him enjoy the water comfortably.

A snorkeling vest is another valid option and in some locations it is required. As a hedge against an incident it would bean swimming with it inflated to some extent. Expecting to inflate it in the midst of an incident is an invitation to an accident.

The last thing that comes to mind (short of a crash swim course) is a buoyancy belt with a CO2 inflator. This would allow him to snorkel as he is already able to do but with a safety net in deeper water. They are commonly available at boating supply outlets. Here is one link: http://www.seapromarine.com/

Regarding sufficiency it will all come down to his ability to function in the water. Any gear will require propper use and panic kills. Starting the vacation with a few professional skin-diving lessons may be time well spent.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Good luck
Pete

Pete, yes, a very nice prescription. Just the thing. You called it right when you noted that dh can float in shallow water, but lacks confidence over his head. We aren't hip on all the different styles and depths of shallow reefs, or even what is available in the Playa area and nearby cenotes. I'm trying to research just that. Dh's snorkeling experience doesn't extend much beyond Hanauma bay, HI, whereby it is impossible to float out to dangerous depths, or even over ones head, without climbing out over the reefs. I certainly wasn't planning to dump him off a diveboat a mile out, lol. I'm just guessing that the availablity of snorkleable areas (for him, if any) of Playa and nearby cenotes don't always adhere to Hanauma-like shallows. I just want him to have a little security and confidence if he does float a little out of his comfort zone, so that he can fin back in without resorting to his nervous paddling. Thanks to all for some very fine suggestions.
Kelly

hey, a good spot to check out for snorkeling that would be relatively shallow in that area.. would be Yal Ku lagoon at Akumal (sometimes spelled Yal Kul) or even the bay at Akumal... before the hurricanes hit the bay was an awsome shallow snorkel, but since was covered with a dusting of white.. but still lots of fish.. and Yal Ku is still good. You'll have to do your own homework on the conditions of the water...

My sister swims as well as your dh and is terrified of drowning. When we were in Indonesia we wanted to go snorlkeling (I was not yet a diver). So I taught her how to use and clear a mask and snorkel in the pool. I had her wear a PFD. To just know that all whe had to do was lift her head up and she would float upright gave her the confidence she needed to give it a try. No-one on the boat made fun of her and she had a fantastic snorkeling experience :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom