SP-350 Pics from Grand Cayman 9-2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jinjer

Contributor
Reaction score
Here are some of the pictures I took in Grand Cayman over the Labor Day weekend. These pictures were shot with the following equipment:
  • Olympus SP-350
  • Olympus Housing with TTL Connector
  • Sea & Sea YS-90 Strobe
  • Inon Wide Angle Lens (All wide angle shots)

P9021638-Edit.jpg

P9030089-Edit.jpg

P9030091.jpg

P9021603.jpg

P9021637.jpg

P9030056-Edit.jpg

P9030013.jpg

P9030019.jpg

P9030058.jpg

P9030079.jpg

nice pics!

which Inon lense did you buy? I have an sp350 as well and I am getting one for my ikelite housing in about a month.

also how deep were you at? how close did you need to be for these shots?

thanks

Thank you for the comments on the pictures.

For my wide angle shots, I am using the Inon UWL-105 AD lens with the Adapter port. The lens works really well, I just have to remember to make sure my strobe arm is out of the picture.

All of our dives this last trip were shore dives in Grand Cayman. We didn't go any deeper than 65 feet.

When taking shots with a strobe, even wide angle shots, you want to try and be within 3 feet of your subject. Otherwise, you won't get the color. I was trying to get as close as I could on all the shots. Although my husband was diving with me, and he told me that I wasn't always as close as I thought I was. Distance is definitely deceptive underwater.

Does the Ikelite housing allow you to do TTL? If so, I would definitely recommend doing that with your SP350. I was shooting with my Canon S80 using the Fiber Optic Sync for the strobe, and that is definitely more difficult than the TTL. Not only did I have problems with the strobe not firing, but you also have to manually adjust the power on the strobe, whereas, TTL sets the strobe power for you.

sweet shots with great colors.

Very nice.

That first one really works!!

Getting close is always tricky - you're so right that distance is difficult to judge underwater! Looks like you did a pretty good job :wink:

I'm sorry to hear you had problems with your strobe not firing! I use the fibre optic cable & Inon strobe with both my Canon A series and the Oly 5050 and have not had that happen. I wonder why it's happening to you - were you able to figure it out? It'd be really helpful for others using the same system to have a heads up!

Alcina,

I only did the one dive in Grand Cayman with the Canon S80 and the Fiber Optic Sync. Part of the problem with the fiber is that it was velcro'd onto the housing, and the velcro came off a couple of times, causing the cable to move. So a lot of the problem was how the cable was connected.

The problems were enough motivation to get me to purchase the Olympus SP-350 with the TTL capabilities installed in the housing. This made it much easier, because I didn't have to worry about the cable connection or adjusting the power on the Strobe.

Now I just need to learn to aim the strobe correctly, and get closer. There were some instances were it would have helped to turn down the power on the strobe, but that can be done by adjusting the flash power setting on the camera for the Olympus.

Alcina,

The best we could tell is it was maybe a combination of the strobe with the camera. It may be that the Inon is better at detecting the light in the fiber than YS-90 Auto strobe. Since the YS-90 Auto has an adapter that you put on the front of the strobe that then holds the fiber optic in front of the sensor, it isn't a real positive method. You have you have use a rubber band to hold the fiber optic cable in place to keep it from getting pulled away so it really isn't the best setup.

Then of course the canon case for the S80 doens't have a place for the fiber optic to connect so you either use the Inon adapter (which we didn't have) or velcro to hold the mount in front of the internal flash.

Finally, and this could be true for many, if you are shooting a clear case and didn't fully make your case opaque so that no internal flash escapes into the picture, that may cause more issues. If you think about it, the fiber on the YS-90 is just sitting in front of the sensor that is looking for a flash. If you have light leaking from your case, the fiber is just there, but not necessary to fire the strobe. Well, we blocked out all the light so you could get a "pristine" shot and so the ONLY light that gets to the strobe's sensor is what comes through the fiber.

We just found that in practice the wired sync cable was much more reliable and predictable with the same YS-90 strobe. However, the S80 has no way to do that, so, hence the Olympus SP-350.. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom