Bonaire Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ejg62

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I returned from a trip to Bonaire several weeks ago and I have not had an opportunity to post several of the shots until now.

Parrot Fish wrapped in it's evening bubble
ParrotFishbubble1.jpg

Very Large Moray Eel
MorayEel1.jpg

First Sea Horse
SeaHorsePhoto2.jpg

First Frog Fish
FrogFish1.jpg

Town Pier
BonaireTownPier01.jpg

Sunset
BonaireSunset2.jpg

Iguana
Iguana01.jpg

Jim G

Nice pictures, particularly like the parrot fish although I hope you didn't wake it with the flash.

Ahh Town Pier, I remember that dive... Great close picture of a sea-horse.

Wow, nice pics. I have never seen Parrofish wrapped in evening bubble - is it to prevent predators from sensing the fish?
I hope to dive Bonaire someday.

[Edit] I forgot to start off my message by telling you how much I love the photos, particularly that of the parrotfish. I'm sure I've seen pictures of them sleeping in their mucous covering, but never one that so clearly had that "boy in the plastic bubble" look. I also like the composition, the way you can't see the nose of the fish, kind of like he's hiding his head in a crevice, hoping not to be seen. Good job. [Edit]

What are peoples' thoughts on taking flash photos of sleeping parrotfish? If they are disturbed, resulting in the disruption of their bubble, they have a big risk of getting eaten during the night. Will flash photos disturb them enough to endanger them? I've always avoided taking that kind of photo, but would if it was harmless.

I was diving in Key Largo on the Benwood and there were all these hugh (3 foot-ish, maybe larger) alpha male Midnight Parrotfish coming in from the deep to sleep in the ribs of the shallow wreck. The first half hour seemed like a meet-and-greet as all of the parrotfish encountered each other. During the second half hour of the dive, they all found individual spots to sleep. Those were the largest and prettiest parrotfish that I have ever seen. Thanks to Bob Bates for taking us out there.

David

Nice collection - looks like a fabulous trip. Really like the iguana :)

As for the parrotfish question, I can't say I know for sure. It would be a good one to ask over in the Marine Science section, too.

I would guess that taking a shot or two and moving on would not be terribly detrimental. If you camped out and took frame after frame or if there was a group of photographers all wanting a shot, it might be more of a problem. Things like this are also a problem, especially shooting at night, with some small fishes - divers will be shadowed by fish like barracuda and when a torch hits a snack BOOM in goes the barracuda.

Back
Top Bottom