5ft hose routing options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Packhorse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have just scored a second hand set of 2 SP mk25/s600 with a 5ft hose.
I have not dived the "long hose" yet and am woundering about diffrent options.
The guy I brought them off said he bungied the excess hose to his tank. The only problem I see with this method is after a OOA or OOA drill you have all that extra hose.
Can a 5 ft hose be routed the same as a 7ft DIR style except across the chest instead of under the cannister light? I have a DIY cannister light but I strap it to my tank when I use it.
Any pic or various routings would be appriciated.
Thanks

hoosier:
Yes, it is the same as 7ft hose routing.

Although it can feel a bit constricting IMO. I have always prefered a 7ft while a 6ft fits my 5'4" wife best. 5ft was too short for us both. Feel free to experiment (unless you intend to take cave, then 7ft is the only option)

Skip the bungie, its hokey and liable to get loose on you and be vastly worst than an unsecured octo.

rjack321:
Although it can feel a bit constricting IMO. I have always prefered a 7ft while a 6ft fits my 5'4" wife best. 5ft was too short for us both. Feel free to experiment (unless you intend to take cave, then 7ft is the only option)

Skip the bungie, its hokey and liable to get loose on you and be vastly worst than an unsecured octo.

Hmm~~~

With a canister light, 5 ft is no way though....We are also using 5ft hose for a single tank without a canister option. It works great so far. Sure, we can tuck 7ft hose under the wasit belt or knfie sheath though. Actually, without a canister light, 7ft is a little bit long for us. What brand first stage are you using? Our single regs are MK25/S600....

Packhorse:
Can a 5 ft hose be routed the same as a 7ft DIR style except across the chest instead of under the cannister light?

Yup, it can just go under your right armpit instead of under a canister. Then route it over the left shoulder, around the back of the head, and into your mouth from the right.

Packhorse:
Can a 5 ft hose be routed the same as a 7ft DIR style except across the chest instead of under the cannister light?

Yes, that's how you do. But as said, 5ft could be too short for some..............me for one. I think you might want to try and dive with that for now. If you find it too short, simply switch it to a 7ft hose.

hoosier:
Hmm~~~

With a canister light, 5 ft is no way though....We are also using 5ft hose for a single tank without a canister option. It works great so far. Sure, we can tuck 7ft hose under the wasit belt or knfie sheath though. Actually, without a canister light, 7ft is a little bit long for us. What brand first stage are you using? Our single regs are MK25/S600....

Although I'm 5'8" and 145 lbs, I'm fat and 'husky' in a drysuit. I have a long back, stubby legs.

The 5ft hose just always seemed to be tight in my right armpit and limit head movement a bit.

6ft was fine if I didn't tuck it in much or expect to route it under the canister light.

7ft was most versatile and I tuck it in if I don't bring the canister or route it underneath if I do.

For my single rig, I tried all three. Fortunately I was able to mix and match with my wife's and not buy too many hoses. Eventually I traded the 5ft for something - it only had 4-6 dives on it. I vote for a bit of experimentation, YMMV.

Just skip the bungie to tank biz, a nightmare waiting to happen.

If you bungie it like a parachute cord then it will be available with just a tug on the hose.
ie. form a bend (u shape) and bungie the bend down, that way when you tug on it, it will slide right out to full length.

But I would also mention that I if you bought this second hand a full service rebuild and hose replacements might not be a bad idea

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom