poseidon when it fails, air tends to stop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crestgel

Contributor
Reaction score
A friend brought to my attention that when most regulators failed they tend to free flow. He said that the Poseidon regulators tend to stop giving air. This is the first I heard of this. I hope it is not true.

I do recall reading somewhere that Poseidon regulators were not DIR. I guess if the first paragraph is true then I now know why.

Poseiden second stages use an "upstream" poppet design, meaning that they will not vent excess pressure if the first stage HP seats causing an increase intermediate pressure. However an over pressure relief valve is built into the hose so it is not an issue.

They are no more likely to fail "closed" and not deliver air than a downstream poppet designed reg - that is to say very unlikely.

crestgel:
A friend brought to my attention that when most regulators failed they tend to free flow. He said that the Poseidon regulators tend to stop giving air. This is the first I heard of this. I hope it is not true.

I do recall reading somewhere that Poseidon regulators were not DIR. I guess if the first paragraph is true then I now know why.

Your friend does not know what he is talking about.. The posiedons are no more likely to fail closed than any other regulator..

I believe that the DIR problem has to do with the ablity to take it apart and service it underwater when you have filled it up with crud. In my world that's a little below getting hit by a meteorite. I love my Cyklon 5000.

don O

Back
Top Bottom