Delta4/FDX10, XTX50, or S600/MK25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goodeatsfan

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I'm in abit of a quandry here, and am wondering if maybe I could get some opinions before making my decision. Where I'm at, the 3 regulators go for about the same price (plus-minus about USD50).

I have no way of testing these regs as the part of the world I'm in doesn't provide these opportunities. I'm leaning more towards the scubapro and the oceanic because of the service where I'm at but have heard of the 'bulletproofness' of the Apeks. Oceanic regs aren't really well thought of here in my neck of the woods or rather not thought of much by most except for the problems with the Atom a while back, but my personal experience with the Veo has been stellar (leading me to recommend them to everyone over the suuntos).

I've been reading up on these 3 regs as much as I've been able to and honestly, am leaning closer to the oceanic, but for fear of it's durability. I just want a nice holiday reg mostly for warm water diving but with the ability to handle cold water diving whenever the opportunities present themselves.

Deepest depth I go to is only at the PADI limit. Can I use the delta4 for DIR-F?

I like the Delta4 but then I'm biased towards oceanic due to being with a shop that has them as their primary line. I have 3 oceanic regs, a delta3 w/cdx5 first stage, a GT3 w/cdx5 and an alpha7w/dx4 and enviro kit. We have sold alot of the 4's with the FDX and have had no complaints. There are some things I prefer about the CDX5 over the FDX10 but they are more cosmetic in nature. You also cannot got wrong with Oceanics level of service commitment to their customers. Look at some of the posts on here where Doug or Cerich intervened to get a problem or concern taken care of. I don't see any scubapro or apeks reps on here doing that. As to whether or not it's ok for DIR-F I do not know. You would have to ask the instructor. I don't know if they would consider the 1st stage swivel a problem. And if you plan on doing the class in doubles you are going to need two regs anyway and it would be nice if the 1st stages were the same. Check with your DIR-F instructor. As far as handling varying conditions there is no problem with that.

goodeatsfan:
Can I use the delta4 for DIR-F?

The GT3 w/cdx5 is a better option for DIR (No hose swivel like the Delta) and will save you some money. One of the best bangs for the buck out there.

You would be changing out the hose any way for a 5' to 7' hose min. 32"+.

A DIRer would also say the swivel on the hose of the Delta is an additional unneeded failure point. Also, the DVT (ACD Aqualung) which the GT3 w/cdx5 has scares the deep tech divers because it has not been around long enough, not time tested and additional failure point. Though in hindsight it might be the way to go because no water can get in the first stage. Again, not time tested.

Remember in DIR less is more.

If I was you I'd get the SP G250, R555,S600/MK17, Apeks TX,ATX,XTX/DS4 or (GT3 w/cdx5 for the money).

On a personal note I dive with a old Oceanic Omega and a Zeagle ZX/Flathead. I just ordered two Apeks TX50/DS4 for doubles. I really like the rigid feel of the TX50 (and G250) second stage and the traditional purge button.

It would be nice if Oceanic had a diaphragm environmentally sealed 1st stage with the ascetics/shape of the DS4 and MK17 without the DVT for double and single tank diving to compete with the DS4 and MK17 and my personal preference a more rigid 2nd stage like the TX50/G250 with a traditional purge button (also they must put a little metal on it to satisfy the tech crowd). Oceanic? Is this in your new tech line coming out? I'd buy one too.

If you do go into Tech Deep Double Tank Cold Water Diving and follow the DIR Mentality these I listed above are much better options.

Good Luck

Everyone from the navy to cavers to newbies like me like the X/A/TX50 line. Most DIRers dive Apex so if you want a reg guarenteed to follow you through DIR go Apex.

I've been through two FDX-10s, took good care of both but ultimately they failed on me.
On the first one all that happened was that the DVT (or ist it DRT, i cna never remember) plug came unseated, i got it changed out right away as it worried me that it might restrict airflow. A similar thing happened with the second one except that in this case it did indeed prevent my reg from suppluing me with enough air at my safety stop, there was still 1000 psi in my tank at the time. A down side of the Delta 4 if your going for DIR is the swivle. Well, not the swivel itself as you'll be changing the hose bu the fact that the port in the side of the second stage is sized to take a swivel, not a regular hose.
If I were you I'd go for the apeks, I know lots of people who swear by them and have recently switched to useing an xtx 200 myself - couldn't be happier.

I have the Delta4 with the FDX-10 but mine is DIN so I've not had any problems with it. I love the reg. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone, except maybe someone who is going DIR. The swivel isn't acceptable, and if you have to buy parts immediately, you might as well get a different reg. Just my .02.

The only problem with the XTX50 is the Swivel turret on the first stage. The XTX100 is the best choice for HOG/DIR in the XTX lineup IMHO. But for a couple hundred dollars less the TX50/DS4 is the same performance less one HP port.

The SP MK25 has really good hose routing while the MK17 is better option for cold weather.

I can’t imagine someone having problems with two of the Oceanics, but I honestly have no experience with the Dry Valve Technology (DVT). It’s something new and guys at 200’ don’t like to worry about things like that. They want the simplest functioning, time proven designed regulator made of the best quality time proven materials available.

Truth is, all the regs you mentioned are good ones. You won't go wrong with any of them.

I dive the Delta4/FDX10 and love it after more than 100 recreational dives in not quite a year. I have heard of problems with the early DVT "bullets" , but not like S. Starfish had (that last one really had to suck). They've made changes to the parts and, I think. Many regs, among them the Delta4, do not fit over the new "Din or yoke" valves The yoke is too narrow at the back.

It should come down to features like adjustability and whether you want swivels and DVT. I prefer a swivel and the DVT has saved my reg at least twice, so I prefer the Oceanic.

serrada:
The only problem with the XTX50 is the Swivel turret on the first stage. The XTX100 is the best choice for HOG/DIR in the XTX lineup IMHO. But for a couple hundred dollars less the TX50/DS4 is the same performance less one HP port.
I spoke with someone at Aqualung this week, they are going to start selling the Apeks XTX50/DS4 combination soon in the US, at least in DIN. She said US dealers could begin ordering them now.

Went down to the shops today and had another look at the Apeks and the Oceanic. Both look great. I prefer the look and feel of the Delta4 but as I was informed by a buddy, he says that the plastic and chrome on oceanic regulators in general aren't all that durable (cheap) and that they generally have short life-spans.

I also read on Divernet, that in one of the group tests conducted in May 2005, the Delta4 (stage 2) they tested had flaking bits of metal (I suppose it should be chrome) after a week of testing. Anyone here using it faced this? Has oceanic rectified this in their exisiting batch? Any comments? Appreciate any and all help/advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom