Pegasus Sea Moth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Bangs

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
This little and seldom seen critter was the main focus of my last visit to Yap. It took 4 dives and over 5 hours in the water to find them. Bill Acker, the owner of Yap Divers, even jpined in on the search with THREE more guides! Now that is service!
I wish these fish lived somewhere with a better background!

seamoth1.jpg

seamoth2.jpg

seamoths1.jpg

TSandM:
They are pretty cool and strange little critters -- We saw several of them while we were in Lembeh. My husband's pic is at http://www.tsandm.com/indonesia/id50.htm

Nice shot. yes they are walkers and not too bright! I watched one encounter a small rock surrounded by san and the thing decided to climb over it instead of going around. that was the only time I saw it use it's tail too.

Oy Pakman (he'll read this, trust me),

Aren't these what we saw in PG on the last night dive? I didn't know what they were, but I'm pretty sure no-one said sea-moth. Does it have another common name?

Oh, and sorry - good pics BTW, not easy to photograph.

thepurplehammerhead:

Aren't these what we saw in PG on the last night dive? I didn't know what they were, but I'm pretty sure no-one said sea-moth. Does it have another common name?

Nice Pics Chris!!!... Come out to Puerto Galera... They're a dime a dozen around Sabang wreck. We came across 3 at one time. Real PITAS to photo as they blend in so well with the sand and have this annoying habit of turning away right before you snap your picture...

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1248.jpg

ack: haven't uploaded the pic of all three of them together...
:bananalama:

thepurplehammerhead:

as with any fish, common names vary my local. I read that there are 4 different species, related to the stickleback

Chris Bangs:
as with any fish, common names vary my local. I read that there are 4 different species, related to the stickleback

your shots blow mine away, seems that yours have a bit more color. better background too:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom