gilboa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snuggle

Reaction score
thinking of going there next weekend..anyone know how the viz and temp has been like lately?

Snuggle
I'm there every weekend (and sometimes during the week) and as of yesterday the water temps were 68 degrees, thermocline (at the tubes) was around 50 degrees. The readouts on our computers stated that it was 68 yet we both thought it would have registered cooler by a few temps but they didn't, and we have different types of computers. Vis was suprisingly bad. I say that because my buddy and I were expecting pretty good vis with the cooler weather thining the crowds; however, we both saw people going sub-terrainian and mucking up the vis. We also saw a couple divers do their best imitation of godzilla on the bottom, literally walking on the bottom!!! I couldn't believe it. A group next to us also were talking about them. It depended on where you were at but by the time we left around 1:30, there were areas where the vis was only a couple feet. On a side note, I have (in my short time diving) never been able to understand why people screw up the vis??? No one appreciates it and if the individiuals are having buyoancy issues stay at a platform or at least isolate yourselves from the rest of the divers so as not to screw it up for everyone else....but thats another issue...

As far as Gilboa as a dive site, I believe Mike has one of the best sites in our area. Not only does he have an assortment of stuff to see but also caters to those of us that like to practice and hone the skills needed to get a little deeper. I personally love the hot showers at the end of a day of diving.

Have a great time...

Best Regards
Don Costanza

Does Gilboa turn over in the fall? That will muck up the vis until the overturn is complete. I've never been up there this time of year.
Ber :bunny:

On Saturday 10/12
Surface temp was 68°
Temp @ 115' was 45-50°
viz was good... was able to go through semi trailer using ambient light only

As to Fall turnover.... the only turnover I'm seeing is students thinning out and experienced divers returning... of course, that was just an observation from one day...

Back
Top Bottom