Leaving Dust Cap Off When Rinsing Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer

Contributor
Reaction score
So I haven't done this (yet!), but what should one do if he rinses his regs without having replaced the dust cover on the first stage? I'm pretty anal about checking the regs before they hit the bathtub, but want to be prepared for the inevitable day when I forget. [I don't currently wash my regs under pressure, so please tailor answers to this fact.] Thanks!

you are supposed to take the hose off and let the first stage dry out.

Did it dunk? Did it sit? I dunked mine once and decided to live dangerously and did nothing. I did not die and it was about a year ago. The correct answer is to get serviced probably. Some people just disconnect everything and let it dry out. I think.

I would take my reg completely apart just to make sure. Its a relatively simple reg (an old USD Pro Divers), and I have practiced taking it apart or putting it back together.
If you're uncomfortable with this setup, then you can always just have it serviced at your LDS.

You should remove the SPG then hook it to a bottle slowly open valve to blow this line out. Then reattach the SPG and perg your Regs. This must be done before putting your rig under presure again or you risk blowing water into your SPG, which will corode and lose years of service.

Mafiaman:
You should remove the SPG then hook it to a bottle slowly open valve to blow this line out. Then reattach the SPG and perg your Regs. This must be done before putting your rig under presure again or you risk blowing water into your SPG, which will corode and lose years of service.

Purge your regs before you re attach the spg/console.

cerich:
Purge your regs before you re attach the spg/console.
Question; How do you maintain back presure to purge the Regulaters with a high presure line open? I'm ready to learn!

Rainer:
So I haven't done this (yet!), but what should one do if he rinses his regs without having replaced the dust cover on the first stage? I'm pretty anal about checking the regs before they hit the bathtub, but want to be prepared for the inevitable day when I forget. [I don't currently wash my regs under pressure, so please tailor answers to this fact.] Thanks!

I never rinse my reg unless under pressure.

I did once soak one in a bucket by mistake. Didn't realize the reg was in there.

So I let it dry with the cap off. No issues. If it had been soaked in salt water, I would have had the thing taken apart and cleaned.

If you always rinse pressurised you won't have the problem and I believe most manufactor's recommend that

Mafiaman:
Question; How do you maintain back presure to purge the Regulaters with a high presure line open? I'm ready to learn!

It takes around 20 minutes to empty a tank through the HP port on a regulator as the opening is only pinhole size. Having no high pressure hose on a first stage will not affect the intermediate pressure.Suspect it may make quite a noise though !!!

You should probably get it serviced though I think they're more robust than generally claimed.

During my OW course I didn't quite understand what I was meant to do and so every time took the regulator off the tank, dunked it in the rinse bucket and put the dust cap on.

It kept working for the 4 days I did the course, anyway...

Fortunately I'd discovered the proper way of doing it before I bought my own regs.

Back
Top Bottom