First U/W camera choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhyz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking to get my first U/W camera and trying to decide between the Canon Powershot A610, A620 and the Oly SP-350. All three seem like very good cameras for the price and housing available for all 3 from Ike. I think only the Oly has RAW but I could be wrong.

Any suggestions on choice for my first camera? Have I missed anything in my research that would lead me to one choice besides price?

-rhyz

I like the SP-350, it does have RAW and TTL capabilities. My wife got one and it really seems like a good camera set up. She had the Canon S80 and it worked okay, but just the ergonomics under water were not so good along with no TTL or any hot shoe for that matter.

Not sure on the A610 or A620 if it has enough manual control or not but the SP-350 has full manual everything and programmable buttons and modes to make underwater picture taking VERY easy.

All of those have manual control. Only the oly has RAW.

Follow the pink link for some more information and also have a wander around the Canon and Olympus forums here as there have been quite a few recent discussions on various models.

Yup Alcina, that was the first thread I read when trying to decide my choices. It helped me immensely to narrow it down. Just wanted some extra feedback on if I had missed any pros or cons between the 3. And went through both of the boards but leaning towards the Oly for the RAW.

Thanks for the replies guys.
-rhyz

Sorry to hijack, but with the SP 350 camera; would it be better to go with the Oly housing or Ikelite? Is one better than the other or is it apples to apples? Also, would Ikelite strobes, arms, etc.. work with an Oly housing?

From what I've read the IKe is better as it has more replaceable parts verses the Oly housing you can only replace the O-ring. Ike is built to last and is more expensive, around 2x+ the cost of the Oly. And from what I've read more adaptable to different lens' (sp?)

My only point of reference is my former Oly C5050 and Oly PT-015 housing which allowed for wetmate lenses to be added on, just like the Ike housings. As well, optically triggered strobes could be added on. I would be surprised if the other Oly PT housings did not have the ability to add on wetmate lenses.

OK, if you had the ability to get the Ikelite at a discount, would that be a good deciding factor to go that route? If so, would this be a good choice?

#3944.51 Digital Package includes:

#4103.51 Digital TTL Sync Cord
#4044.1 DS-51 SubStrobe
#4086.61 Ball Socket Arm system

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom