servicing your own regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3ddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure if this goes here or in the regulator section. I was wondering if anyone services their own regs. I would like to because I have had trouble with some service jobs in the past. I have the manuals for mine but I was wondering where you can buy the tools and parts. I take stuff apart and put it together for a living so I am not worried about that end of it. I just want to get the right tools and parts so it is right when I am done. I understand that some will not feel this is wise but I am just aking the question and I am more than comfortable doing it with the right equipment. I should mention that they are Aqualung Legends.

Tools are easy: http://www.scubatools.com/

Parts tend to be the problem. When I started servicing my own Scubapro regs, I initially found most parts kits on ebay rounded out with a selection of various std o-rings available from numerous sources. Asking around on this and similiar boards also brought some parts help. Eventually, I found dealers who would rather make some money selling parts than have me go elsewhere.

Good Luck. It sure is nice to know that the guy servicing your reg is every bit as concerned about your well being as you are.

Go into the advanced search and use this whole line exactly as shown:

servicing "own regs"

including the punctuation. It will throw up a series of threads on this subject with useful links.

Best advice is take the manufacturers service course. Most manufacturers like Scubapro have techs that travel and conduct these courses. then you can buy all the parts and tools you wish, not to mention you will actually know what you are doing.

Chris Bangs

one more note, many times servicing requires more than just cleaning and replacing parts. the higher end regs tend to require a lot of fine tuning and in some cases parts need to be polished or resurfaced in order to be returned to factory specs.

The shop I manage has 3 full time techs and some very expensive testing equipment. Each customer is provided with a very detailed repair and performance report with every overhaul including all the old parts that were replaced. I guess this is not the case with many of the smaller shops in the mainland.

Anyway, even though I can do it myself ( I have the parts tools and training), Since I do not do it every day I prefer to have the pro take care of my equipment.

Chris Bangs:
Best advice is take the manufacturers service course. Most manufacturers like Scubapro have techs that travel and conduct these courses. then you can buy all the parts and tools you wish, not to mention you will actually know what you are doing.

Chris Bangs

Is this course available without sponsorship by an "authorized dealer"?

Chris Bangs:

Chris Bangs

Never been in a shop yet that would allow me to do that. So, I did like awap, and just found a dealer who would sell to me. Franky, I consider high maintainence regs to be a liability, and don't bother with them, so I don't much care what the shops think of me.

3ddiver:
Not sure if this goes here or in the regulator section. I was wondering if anyone services their own regs. I would like to because I have had trouble with some service jobs in the past. I have the manuals for mine but I was wondering where you can buy the tools and parts. I take stuff apart and put it together for a living so I am not worried about that end of it. I just want to get the right tools and parts so it is right when I am done. I understand that some will not feel this is wise but I am just aking the question and I am more than comfortable doing it with the right equipment. I should mention that they are Aqualung Legends.

your regulator has a lifetime warranty for parts if you service it every year at a US Divers/Aqualung affiliiated store. It could cost you more in parts than it will to service it at a dealer since you will not get free parts.

Why would you want to fix your own reg when you don't know how to, don't have the correct tools, and will void your warranty by doing it yourself?

Just like CB, I do not fix my own reg even though I know how to and could get parts.

awap:
Is this course available without sponsorship by an "authorized dealer"?

Good question!

I keep forgetting that things are very different in remore locations like on Islands where diving is a major draw.

second if you are not working for a shop or an active divemaster/instructor getting in a course may be difficult

Here instructors are all freelance and operate as a private Business. We often open up the training to these folks. I do not recall ever having to actually "sponser" someone.

CB

seafox69:
your regulator has a lifetime warranty for parts if you service it every year at a US Divers/Aqualung affiliiated store. It could cost you more in parts than it will to service it at a dealer since you will not get free parts.

Why would you want to fix your own reg when you don't know how to, don't have the correct tools, and will void your warranty by doing it yourself?

Just like CB, I do not fix my own reg even though I know how to and could get parts.

AL requires an overhaul service only every other year if you have less than 50 dives per year. Off years only require an inspection. Key here is determining the cost for overhauls and inspections. BTW, dealer participation in this "parts for life" program is OPTIONAL so if you don't pick the right dealer, you could get to pay for parts anyway. And, if you do more than 50 dives per year, the overhaul will be required annually. But you are only eligible for "free" parts every other year.

There are a few regs that have a reputation as being difficult to service and adjust, but the Legend is a fairly conventional design that should not present any special challenge. Start-up costs for DIY will likely be more than you would spend in the next year for authorized dealer service. Depending on the number of regs you are maintaining and how well you care for them after diving, it will likely take you a couple years or more to break even. I'm maintaining about a half dozen regs for myself and my wife, and I figure my annual cost for service kits and o-rings is well under $100 per year. While each reg gets cleaned, inspected, and lubed every year or 2, I have found that seats (HP and LP) will generally last 3 to 5 years or more.

Also, going the DIY route will allow you to buy some great older used regs at very favorable prices and put them back in to service at very low costs. I retired my modern regs and much prefer those 15 to 25 years old. They do not perform quite as well as the newer high performance regs, but the difference is often imperceptable. And they tend to be simpler and more rugged.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom