Hyperopic RX Scuba Masks and Sunglasses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shade

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good supplier for + prescription scuba masks/sunglasss.

Hyperoptix seems to know what they are talking about, however my RX is about +6.5 and I have never worn (or even tried) contacts at this point so my best option may be the flat masks. http://www.hydrooptix.com/the_mega_rx_1.htm

I have RX lenses glued to a sherwood normal mask. It's better than nothing, but still kinda sucks.

I have a nice pair of raybans fitted with RX lenses, but the lenses are so thick that given the postiion and curve of the wraparound frame (even with the high index lenses) that my eye lashes actually touch the lens when I blink. You can't imagine how annoying that is!

Any suggestions from the moderately farsighted underwater crowd here would be most appreciated.

Actually from what I have read lasik is better suited for people who are myopic (- prescriptions) since the lasik procedures effectively only need to make the surface of the eye flatter to correct the vision.

From what I understand in my case since the surface of the eye needs to be made rounder to correct my vision the rate of complications and regression following lasik is far higher to the point where it is almost not worth trying it and risking having poorer
vision than I have today with my glasses.

I have been told by the local lasik surgeions that for people who are +2.0 lasik may be an ok option. At +6.5 where I am they striongly advised against it. Certainly seems a little too risky IMHO. That was four years ago, perhaps things have improved somewhat.

This site http://www.surgicaleyes.org is full of stories from the people you DON'T hear about. The people who aren't excited about their surgery result. While I am sure this is the other extreme and may have as much to do with the technology as the surgeon/patient it is truly an eye opener.

I think I will wait until the technology improves further.

Back
Top Bottom