Neoprene Drysuit for Monterey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yeah, I know most people prefer shell drysuits, but I'm wondering if a neoprene drysuit would be okay in Monterey. Would I be too hot, especially on a shore dive? I wore it in my pool and about died from the heat (but that was in 70 degree water in the Sacramento heat).

And in case you're wondering, the reason I just don't try it out in Monterey is that the suit needs some upgrading and I'm not sure I want to invest the money without knowing the answer to the heat question.

Monterey is the place where I'd rather dive a neoprene suit.

Thalassamania:
Monterey is the place where I'd rather dive a neoprene suit.

Why's that? Enlighten me.

Most dives are fairly shallow, often rock entries and/or exits, a narrow surf band. And there are several really good custom neoprene suit makers between Pacific Grove and Santa Cruz.

nkw5:
Yeah, I know most people prefer shell drysuits, but I'm wondering if a neoprene drysuit would be okay in Monterey. Would I be too hot, especially on a shore dive? I wore it in my pool and about died from the heat (but that was in 70 degree water in the Sacramento heat).

And in case you're wondering, the reason I just don't try it out in Monterey is that the suit needs some upgrading and I'm not sure I want to invest the money without knowing the answer to the heat question.

I logged around 70 Monterey dives on an O’Neill 7000x neoprene drysuit from Dolphin and never had any real issues with overheating – if anything, that dampsuit had real problems with keeping me warm enough during chillier dives. An upgrade to a Signature Series FLX 50/50, however, solved the problem quite nicely.

Are you talking about "neoprene" (like wetsuits) or "crushed/compressed neoprene"?
Both materials are used. "Neoprene" is used in inexpensive drysuits. It's not as
rugged as the "c/c neoprene" and has significant buoyancy change with depth. I can't
think of a single regular Monterey diver who wears one these days. "c/c neoprone"
has very little buoyancy change with depth, and I know a fair number of regulars (inc.
myself and Adm. Linda) who wear them, though there are proabably more trilam
suits.

Chuck Tribolet:
Are you talking about "neoprene" (like wetsuits) or "crushed/compressed neoprene"?
Both materials are used. "Neoprene" is used in inexpensive drysuits. It's not as
rugged as the "c/c neoprene" and has significant buoyancy change with depth. I can't
think of a single regular Monterey diver who wears one these days. "c/c neoprone"
has very little buoyancy change with depth, and I know a fair number of regulars (inc.
myself and Adm. Linda) who wear them, though there are proabably more trilam
suits.
I know more than a few folks who use uncrushed neoprene suits, but I’ll grant you that they are not as popular as they used to be. IMHO the entire discussion of buoyancy change is a red herring. Since the neoprene is part of your insulation, if viewed from the outside surface of the suit in, there is no more (in fact slightly less) buoyancy change then with a suit of the same insulation factor that is made of some other material. One of the advantages of the open cell suit is that you can fit it tighter, have less “moveable” air inside, and be as warm or even warmer (since there’s still insulation on your chest which has been shown to go to about zero in other types of suits). I say that as someone who has an open cell suit, a crushed suit, a trilam and a hypalon suit and uses each when each best serves. Well, almost ... I've yet to find the use that the tilam excels at.

One nice thing about a compressed neoprene dry suit is that you don't have to wear the thick undergarments required by shell suits. Some divers dive warm water in their regular ol' clothes in their compressed neoprene suits. This is from the Diving Concepts website:

In warmer water conditions of 70-75°F, the comfort, flexibility and minimal weight requirements of diving in the Pinnacle 200 without undersuit insulation offer an incredible dive experience that makes most divers abandon their wetsuits.

John L.

wetrat:
One nice thing about a compressed neoprene dry suit is that you don't have to wear the thick undergarments required by shell suits. Some divers dive warm water in their regular ol' clothes in their compressed neoprene suits. This is from the Diving Concepts website:

In warmer water conditions of 70-75°F, the comfort, flexibility and minimal weight requirements of diving in the Pinnacle 200 without undersuit insulation offer an incredible dive experience that makes most divers abandon their wetsuits.

John L.
70F in Monterey? Maybe in your bathtub. In Monterey,
you definitely need undies with a compressed neoprene dry suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom