Wisconsin diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was just wondering if there are Wisconsin divers out there that have favorite dive sites.

I like Devil's Lake and have dove Lake Michigan and a few other inland lakes.

Can anyone offer input on Lake Geneva? Any other fun or favorite spots?

Well I'm not from Wisconsin but I do dive there on occasion. I've done dives at Lake Wazee and Perch Lake which are decent.

While BigDiver and myself will often practice our skills in the quarries, we most enjoy doing the wrecks in the Great Lakes. I would also say Wazee Lake is a great place to dive, great vis, dept if you desire, as well as camping.

Thanks. Yes, Wazee is decent. I'll have to look for Perch Lake.

One of the vastly overlooked spots for diving in WI are the rivers.
While the viz is usually low due to tannin staining, there are a LOT of goodies laying on the bottom.
Fish spawning season brings some great shows, catch the Muskies in the spring or the sturgeon in the fall. You can sneak right up on them while they're distracted with other things.

One of my favorite spots in your neck of the woods is Jim Falls, by the NSP dams. You'll have to stay well away from the dams tho, they're hazardous areas for obvious reasons.

If you don't mind a little research, hit the library & check out the Platt Books from the 1800's - early 1900s. Look for old railroad spurs & logging camps, they're often on/near the water & can point out great piles of garbage. (old bottles, timber tongs, saws, etc)

Thanks Bob3 -- I'll looking into your ideas. I think I'd need an experienced river diver to get me started there, with current concerns and all, but I'll keep an eye open for opportunity.

Paco once bubbled...
I'll have to look for Perch Lake.
Perch is a very small lake just across the MN/Wisconsin border near Hudson WI and Stillwater MN. It usually has pretty good viz especially in the spring it and it has decent depth (max 63 ffw) which drops off fairly quickly from shore. It has an abundance of fish along the weed line and if you're lucky you can even find a few treasures such as boat anchors, etc. I took a few pics there back in May. You can see some of them by clicking the link below.
Scuba Pics

Nice pics GP. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Back
Top Bottom