Ok...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boomx5

Contributor
Reaction score
so I'm browsing through "Padi Advanced Diver Manual" circa 1984, and lo and behold what do I stumble across? Backplates and wings, spg's and bungied octo's. And so I says to myself,
"self, maybe these GUE guy's aren't as off the wall as alot of people make them out to be". And, "maybe there were people doing it right long before most of the people on the board even learned to dive". "Maybe GI3 and the GUE guy's just saw somethings that worked and improved upon an already successful design to make better". I don't know, it was just an observation, but I did find it intriguing.

The equipment configuration (Hogarthian) is not new and was not invented by the GUE or the WKPP. The system works perfectly for all of my diving, with the exception of the sidemount stuff I will be getting into this winter, but a bp/wing and its no frills nature doesn't give the manufacturers much in the way of new stuff to market every year. There is only so many things you can dod to a wing or plate.

They need to be able to add d-rings to a sysstem that already has eight. Why? to get the edge on the brand that only has seven. If everyone realized that you only need three, where would that leave them? Pockets, zippers, rings and things that look cool hanging on them is what makes the diving world go round.

Hi Mike,

Just curious as to why Hogarthian doesn't work for sidemount. I've never even seen a sidemount rig. What do you use when diving this way?

Thanks,

Jack

detroit diver
First off, anything I say about sidemount is based on what I know from others who do it because I haven't done it yet. The tanks are worn on the side, like stages. There are no tanks or plate on the back. The idea is to have as low of a profile as possible so you can fit through the smallest places possible. Most don't wear the primary light on the hip because it gets in the way of the tank that is worn there. Some use long hose but it isn't for sharing air it's to make it easier to remove a tank and push it in fron of you. If a wing is worn it is tied down to keep it close to the back. Gas management is different because there is no manifold. You are essentially diving independants. Rigging for the tanks is usually a little different than the normal stage rigging to keep them closer to the body

Mike,

Although I agree that most of the dive industry would rather engage in meaningless changes of their products rather than a process of simplification and refinement, it looks like Halcyon has come up with a backplate based marketing plan. Their Pioneer series wings are a unique product and they have other items such as the ACB weight system. The pioneer wings make the backplate more usuable with a single tank (but not my preference to dive a BP with a single) which greatly expands the potential sales base as not that many divers ever use doubles.

..and not let it degrade into a DIR vs. non-DIR thread.

That being said, I still maintain that Halcyon stopped making the 45# wing so they could sell me a 40# for double AL80s and a 55# for double steels. When all is said and done I will end up with 3 wings, including my 27# for singles. Building popularity among single tank divers of the bp/wing system is a pretty sound strategy for growth since, as you said, there are many more single tank divers than double tank divers and the whole tech community is a pretty small niche relative to the rest of the sport.

I don't like having to own three $300 wings though...

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
detroit diver
First off, anything I say about sidemount is based on what I know from others who do it because I haven't done it yet. The tanks are worn on the side, like stages. There are no tanks or plate on the back. The idea is to have as low of a profile as possible so you can fit through the smallest places possible. Most don't wear the primary light on the hip because it gets in the way of the tank that is worn there. Some use long hose but it isn't for sharing air it's to make it easier to remove a tank and push it in fron of you. If a wing is worn it is tied down to keep it close to the back. Gas management is different because there is no manifold. You are essentially diving independants. Rigging for the tanks is usually a little different than the normal stage rigging to keep them closer to the body

Mike,

Thanks! Sounds a little claustrophobic for me. If it's that tight, I dont want to be there!

detroit diver

The thing is that your idea of tight changes as you gain experience. What I once thought of as tight is now huge and what I think is tight others think is huge. And then there all the tunnels that still don't have anyones line in them. Some cave have restrictions but big cave on the other side. Someone has to go see it.

You're absolutely right. You go see it and tell me what it looks like!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
detroit diver

The thing is that your idea of tight changes as you gain experience. What I once thought of as tight is now huge and what I think is tight others think is huge. And then there all the tunnels that still don't have anyones line in them. Some cave have restrictions but big cave on the other side. Someone has to go see it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom