New Sealife digital

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maildiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
One of my dive buddies recently got I beleive it's a DC500. Anyhow we've taken it out a few times, and just can't get the hang of it. Sometimes the pics come out OK, then others are blurry or real dark. Sometimes the strobe doesn't go off. The manual it came with is'nt much help. This is supposed to be a pretty good camera, obviously we are doing something wrong. I've heard positioning the strobe at about a 40 degree angle is inportant. Need to hear from users of this camera, thanks.

Can you give us a bit more info so we can help? Which strobe are you using? Are you using the sync cord? Have you upgraded the firmware? I would be happy to share with you what I have learned about this camera. Also, I would look at the www.sealife-cameras.com website too. I learned a lot from that too.

maildiver:
Sometimes the strobe doesn't go off.

The strobe takes time to recycle between photos. You have to check the LED on the back of the strobe after a shot to ensure it is ready for the next photo, otherwise it won't flash. Using lithium AA's or high Mah Ni-MH batts will help the lag time. HTHs.

The DC500 can take some really good picture but there is a learning curve.
  1. Make sure you understand the Manual white ballance setting and use it. Just selecting the "Fish" or underwater setting is almost a guarentee for a blue-green picture.
  2. If your using the external flash, make sure the optical wire is lined up correctly
  3. If you don't have the external flash and are using the camera for close ups, you will get a shadow in the lower left quadrant from the housing
  4. If you have no external flash and use the wide angle - forget about it, the wide angle blocks the internal flash
Here are some shots I have taken
http://www.kona-aloha.com/photos/Kona2006/TwoStep/index.html

On the close up shots, take notice of the shadow in the lower left quadrant.
These are all done with internal flash, Manual white Ballance and internal flash.

If I had it to do all over again I would have bought an OLY SP350 instead.
Costco has them for $198 right now
8MP, Raw and Manual WB

Scooter

I believe it is the regular strobe not the digital strobe. There is a cord going from the strobe to the camera. I'm sure the firmware is whatever came with the camera, she bought it just a few months ago.

We have the external strobe, like I said maybe we need to play with the angle of the strobe. Also I think you are right about the setting, she keeps it on the same setting. The vis here is sometimes silty, would that cause the greenish color?

maildiver:
We have the external strobe, like I said maybe we need to play with the angle of the strobe. Also I think you are right about the setting, she keeps it on the same setting. The vis here is sometimes silty, would that cause the greenish color?

Yep, the default setting is pretty green
Turn the camera to Manual WB and point it out into the water
Press Execute and exit the menu
This will set the WB custom to your surroundings.

This picture was taken right after I started using the camera and had not figured it out
http://www.kona-aloha.com/photos/Kona2006/MantaDive/slides/IMG_0027.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom