what should i buy first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bruce3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
so as of right now i have all my personal gear and i have about $500 to spend on dive equipment. so i can either buy a BC the zeagle brigade and weights or i can buy a regulator (mares mr12 proton), octo, and computer (aeris xr1). which should i buy first? BC or life support?

Reg without a doubt, I bought both my bcd and reg on the onset. And I will say the ease of breathing through my new reg put me at greater ease than anything else I would have purchased. Big jump up from the regs you have in class.

Reg first, Computer second.

when I travel to the smaller islands I often don't take my BC due to luggage restrictions, I can rent one,

Rental regs, well I am not all that keen putting something in my mouth that someone else has used.

Computers, these are not always available for rent.

1) Regulator
2) BCD
3) Computer - you don't need this and will be a better diver learning to dive without it.

Which do you like renting least?

For which, if any, could you use more time to think about your choice and try out other units?

*Floater*:
Which do you like renting least?

For which, if any, could you use more time to think about your choice and try out other units?
Which do you like renting least? A wetsuit, of course. Not too keen on wearing something someone else has peed in.
Try out drysuits if possible. Something that looks odd topside may work great underwater, while a "nice trim looking" drysuit can restrict your range of motion.

Depends on the type of diving you are going to do

1] Basic warm water vacation diving (less than 60fsw) once or twice a year - buy descent regs and a 3mm wet suit (don't forget to have your regs serviced every year) Its not the number of dives but the age and condition of the components
2] More advanced vacation diving - open ocean, wreck diving, greater than 60fsw get a computer - more bottom time for you and your instabuddy who has one.
3] Getting serious about diving (more than 20 dives a year) bite the bullet and just take out a loan and get everything at once

I meant which of the things he's considering buying: BCD, reg or computer/bottom timer?

Anyway, best to buy the thing first that you like renting the least. Or if you are still uncertain about one of the choices, then hold off on that one because the more time you have to try things out, talk with other divers and the read these forums, the better informed your decision will be. (Note: this is not to say that there's anything wrong with your current choices - I haven't tried them - but people change their minds as they gain experience).

Bruce3:
so as of right now i have all my personal gear and i have about $500 to spend on dive equipment. so i can either buy a BC the zeagle brigade and weights or i can buy a regulator (mares mr12 proton), octo, and computer (aeris xr1). which should i buy first? BC or life support?

Which is hardest to rent to your satisfaction?

Your BC is the core of all the skills you are mastering. Gear layout, buoyancy etc. If you have to choose that's the one, IMO. If you can consitently rent one like you plan to buy then it become a debatable choice,

Generally for a novice a regulator is a regulator. If you get hung up on the "life support" term or are worried that the last diver barfed in the regulator then buy the regualtor.

The computer can surely wait. There's no reason why your novice dives cannot be made on tables and your air consumption quite lekely mean you won't reach the NDL.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom