Rinsing Datamax Pro Plus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skynscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is it okay to rinse the computer when disconnected from the quick-connect?

How often should the small o-ring at the quick connect be replaced? Should it be lubed?

Thanks,

Gary

Hi Gary,
Our store is a newer Ocaeanic dealer and our staff's combined knowledge is more toward the newer items. I have been learning a lot about the older gear from a lot of the people who visit this forum. I have referred several people with questions on the various oceanic equipment, to Oceanic's website which does have the owner's manuals for a lot of the oceanic equipment in PDF format right on their website. I had thought that your question about rinsing the datamax pro plus when it was disconnected would be easy to answer so I almost jumped the gun by giving the cromagnum answer of "Ugh....me say no"" Rather than that I figured I would do a little more "evolved species" research.

I went to the Oceanic website and sure enough there is a users' manual there for the DataMax Pro Plus here is the link http://www.oceanicww.com/services_manuals.html . I went to the table of contents first and found care and maintenance which began on page 43. When I got to page 45 which covers post dive care and maintenance I had to read it a couple of times because it didn't say whether it needed to be connected or disconnected. I wasn't sure if it was an ommision or not so I broke down and called Ron at Oceanic. I was honestly surprised to find out that it did not need to be connected when it was rinsed. As far as the oring replacement period, I didn't find anything in the manual about that but I will punt and say that at minimum, the oring should be replaced during the yearly inspection. But it would also be dependent on how much diving you do between service intervals. I always think it is a wise idea to have a few spares in a spare parts kit. As far as lubing the oring (please anybody correct me on this if I am wrong) I would say yes. Food grade silicone grease or christ-o-lube if your equipment is a dedicated nitrox system.

Do not goop the lubricant on. A little bit goes a long way. Put a small dab on your thumb or forefinger and thin it out by rubbing your thumb against your forefinger
Once it is almost nonexistant the add your oring. I hope that I have helped.
Roy

Good post Roy!

Couple things, first throw out the silicone. You'll notice we don't use silicone anymore on any regs.Nitrox or not it is easier to clean and in a regulator will allow the same reg to perform better than with silicone (we learnt that the stupid way when we did seperate Nitrox and Air regulators, the nitrox regs ALWAYS did better on the bench) On a console it will be exposed to tank pressure so Nitrox becomes an issue, a reason I recommend that dealers only use the viton swivels/spools, it doesn't take a lot of dives to have a buna oring that is dealing with 3000psi of 36% to crack/crumble like the tires on a 71 VW bug.

Now that that is done...

The Alliance program also covers instruments, so the oring in the QD and the HP Spool/swivel orings are covered. Sometimes dealers forget that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom