Vortoberfest II 2006 recap (consolidated thread)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
So... I know it's early in the year, but any dates considered yet for vortoberfest 2006 ?

Anyone "heading up" this event this year? Was it Uncle Ricky who did it last year?

One can only assume that it will be during October.

October 2006
Su M Tu W Thu Fr Sat
01 02 03 04 05 06 07
08 09 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

Key "Deep Dixie Football dates" to keep in mind for scheduling I'm sure the AL v Tenn game and the AU v FL game will be on TV somewhere and evening games most likely.... (not sure how good TV Footbal reception is there.)

Alabama
Oct 07 Alabama vs Duke
Oct 14 Alabama vs Ole Miss
Oct 21 Alabama @ Tennesee
Oct 28 Alabama vs Florida International

Auburn
Oct 07 Auburn vs. Arkansas
Oct 14 Auburn vs. Florida
Oct 21 Auburn vs Tulane
Oct 28 Aburn @ Ole Miss

Dive Schedule:
Dive as much as you want. :D
Side trips to Morrison and Cypress?
side trip to the gulf?

Side note:
I've heard that Vortex has increased their prices to $32/day but that price includes an "air fill card" good for 1 fill.

anything else?

-Mike

Wow, Mike! You got started on this one early! The only football schedule that matters to me is AU, and the AQUARIANS' annual pumpkin dive has yet to be set. But, if my in-laws have their way, rest assured it will be Oct 28 when AU plays away. We dove at Morrison last year for the pumpkin dive...ususally do it in P.C.

I would be interested in attending this year with Hubby.

I think The Kraken gets the blame for this little shin-dig last year.

...and I'm in!

I think The Kraken gets the blame for this little shin-dig last year.

...and I'm in!

Could Vortoberfest be on Sunday, Oct 29th? That way, if our dive club's pumpkin dive is on the 28th, we could just stay down there and do Vortex on the 29th and maybe Cypress too.

I'd say we stay away from the last weekend in October. Too close to Halloween and lots of folks have parties, etc. to attend.

To me, the only two football game weekends up there worth watching are AU-FL and AL-TN. If need be, we can always "borrow" a sat dish and a TV and set it up on a folding table in the campground if the games are on ESPN, etc. Either of the Ole Miss games might not be that bad since the are SEC games.

As for it being on a Sunday Bennedc, it'll most likely be a 3 day event (Friday-Sunday), with people diving all days, but most of the diving will be Saturday (all day) and Sunday morning due to peoples travel to site.

Sorry. New to this. Where do ya'll stay?

The campground at Vortex was HQ last year (I think that lends to the name, Vortex in October...what do I know I'm stuck in Yankeeville.

I've run out of friends to get married down there, might have to plan this years trip with nothing but diving to do... :D

For better or worse - there is no date that will keep everyone happy, especially with this year's Football schedule - we have set the date :)
The second annual semi-official Scubaboard Vortoberfest will be held the weekend of
October 14-15, 2006
Y'all come!
Love,
Uncle Ricky

Back
Top Bottom