Help with Fuji Finepix F450

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amitsanghi1

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to this site. I am now deployed to Sinai, Egypt with the US Army. I have a Fuji f450 and just got an underwater case, the WP-FX440. The problem is the color of the photos underwater. I know I could use a filter, but I directly contacted Fuji, and they don't make a filter that I can use. Anyone have any suggestions on how to rig one up? I also own Corel Paint Shop Pro XI, a friend told me that the program can effectively remove the blue hue and bring out the colors? Any advice on that? Thanks a bunch.

Setting the white balance at depth will eliminate the need for any filter. I don't know your particular brand, so check your instructions for doing this. You may need to take a white background to accomplish this.

As it seems you don't have a manual white balance in your camera you're left with magic filters. Maybe this link will help: http://www.magic-filters.com/ On the other hand you'll end up with lower shutter speed. You can do some work afterwards but if there's no red in your pictures to begin with there's not much a photoshop or other program can do. I haven't used magic filters but they should be ok at least to some 10m depths. As you are diving in the red sea you have a lot of light and could propably take nice pics even in greater depths. Just remember not to use flash with that filter :) Otherwise you end up with whole lot of red.

So no programs will really help? That is odd, my friend said it helps a lot. Anyways, these magic filters work well? I might give it a try. Unfortunately, my camera does not allow for manual white balance, only preset. Some for indoor incadescent light and tube lighting. Thanks, any other suggestions would be great.

The short answer is get close and use the flash. Forget the filters. Never shoot anything that is further than a foot or so, if you do, expect blue pictures. Thats the way it works underwater

Editing programs may help a little bit but the colours will not pop and you still don't have much red to work with so your shots will always tend towards blue. Editing programs can be magical, but creating something that isn't there, while possible, is incredibly time consuming and usually not worth the hassle. You also move from "photograph" to "digital art" - which may or may not suit you.

Tips for getting the most from a camera that makes all the decisions for you:
1) Get close. Find out what your minimum focus distance is and shoot from there.
2) Have reasonable expectations. Go ahead and shoot subject outside the range of your internal flash, but accept that they will be shades of blue.
3) Get the existing light to work with you. Make sure to shoot on sunny days. Check where the light is coming from. You want it on your subject, not being blocked by you or your camera.
4) Stay shallow. Light is eaten up by depth very quickly so the shallower you can stay, the better.
5) Lay hands on the new "auto magic filter". The results can be very nice. The colours will not, in general, pop like they would if you had a light source, but they are much more pleasing to most people than simply shooting without.
6) Check out an external strobe.
7) Buy a camera with full manual controls - there is a list to get you started if you follow the pink link in my sig. You don't have to spend a fortune to get much more pleasing results. Use your current camera as your on land/backup.

HTH

Well, thanks for the tips. I ordered the auto-magic filter. Hope it helps. I probably need to bite the bullet and get a dedicated underwater camera. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom