Moray In Distress

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PapaBob

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I was able to get in a couple of dives last Saturday. These shots were taken off of the end of a reef north of the Boynton Inlet not too far off shore from the Ritz Carlton in Manalapan. At the end of the reef late in the dive I came across this guy. The first shot shows how I found him with a hook in the corner of his mouth. The mono had snagged what looked like a small tube sponge that had become lodged in his throat. With a full camera rig I do not carry lobster gear and could have really used a tickle stick to try to dislodge the sponge. The hunting teams were already up the reef and out of range. I tried to get close with my shears to see if I could snip the mono at the corner of his mouth and let him disgorge the sponge, but the animal recoiled every time I got close. No gloves and I felt close to risking a nasty bite. I finally had to cut off the attempt and try to hook up with the other divers as bottom time was running short. I really feel bad that I could not help the critter.

—Bob

MorayInDistress1.jpg

MorayInDistress2.jpg

So sad. You may want to tell someone at Splashdown. Maybe if you can provide some info they can keep an eye out for the Morey, and potentially help it out.

I don't blame you for not putting your hand down it's throat! That eel maybe able to take your finger off! Not sure how someone could help this guy out! Maybe someone will post a workable idea assuming someone runs accross this guy again!

Hi Ron.

What I was hoping to do with the lobster tickle stick was loop it under the mono at the corner of the mouth and see if I could nudge it and the obstruction from the throat. At that angle I could use the stick to fend off the guy if he got upset, but there is always a risk. I figured if I got the mono and sponge out far enough I could clip it. Then he has the hook and some line but should be able to swallow. That was my theory at any rate. I am sure some of my dive buddies think I am crazy.

I am going to call the guy who owns the boat I dove off to see if he has GPS marks. If so, I will then forward them to Kev at Splashdown. I don't know if this is a spot they dive or if any of them really want to try surgery on a Moray. I do like your suggestion and thanks for posting it.

---Bob

For fishing they make a tool called a hook disgorger. It allows you to slide a rod down a line and push in to release the hook, and catches the hook to help avoid damaging the fish any more than necessary, especially in catch and release situations. I dunno if they make one big enough to get down a Moray's throat, as opposed to your friendly neighborhood bass, but it may bear looking into, perhaps in conjustion with your tickle stick? You'd need to get a hold of the line first, in any event.

psfishing_1916_3384887

That ain't "Ole One Eyed" is it? Poor eel....I hate fisher people!!!!!!!!!!!

CompuDude:
For fishing they make a tool called a hook disgorger. It allows you to slide a rod down a line and push in to release the hook, and catches the hook to help avoid damaging the fish any more than necessary, especially in catch and release situations. I dunno if they make one big enough to get down a Moray's throat, as opposed to your friendly neighborhood bass, but it may bear looking into, perhaps in conjustion with your tickle stick? You'd need to get a hold of the line first, in any event.

psfishing_1916_3384887

Using this tool on a Moray may result in a serious injury! A full-grown moray can inflict some nasty damage and they are slithery guys. I think using an anesthetic and getting it in the hands of a pro. is what's needed here. I use to feed the guys in an aquarium and while they can be quite tame - they're choppers were always frightening to look at.

Mr.X:
Using this tool on a Moray may result in a serious injury! A full-grown moray can inflict some nasty damage and they are slithery guys. I think using an anesthetic and getting it in the hands of a pro. is what's needed here. I use to feed the guys in an aquarium and while they can be quite tame - they're choppers were always frightening to look at.
I agree... and you'll note that I said I wasn't sure they made one big (read: long) enough to use on a moray. Perhaps if one could be tinkered with and made to be a couple feet long or so, it could be used. Just an idea to provoke some thoughts... I certainly wasn't promoting using a 6" trout and bass tool on a full-grown moray!

Edit: typos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom