C&C this for me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fastmarc

Just drifting along...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

Tell me what you think of this one.

x1pc_jqddVOWRkKRDqVsBTLQSz-Qvjb0hnuDSziHRqjC5uTVW2giIfRz_M0qUVBZ-mwtjCkvWmIVFcCv81eTJn01fsGGdGz29qh0g8hV7z0VTDpIMUehfm8s1PduSEFxu_5iT0ub_ks1Xw

Shutter Speed: 1/100
Aperture: 5.6
Exposure Mode: Manual
ISO Speed Rating: 100
Focal Length: 6 mm
Flash: yes
Metering: Spot
WB: auto

Also, can someone tell me what the 'Focal Length' actually is?

Hey Marc!

First the question, the Focal Length is the distance between the censor (or film) in your camera and the focal point (or center of the lense) when it is focused at infinity.

6mm (not sure on your camera what the 35mm equivelant is) means you were set to wide angle because the distance was very small and it will allow for a wider angle of view.

For the picture I think the exposure is VERY nice and the blue is a good color. The coral color comes out nice too!. I'm not sure why it is a little out of focus being wide angle and you had a fast enough shutter speed that any camera movement should have been okay.. It may be just the sized down picture playing tricks on me because it looks focused at the base of the center coral/sponge.

You could bump the shutter to 1/125 maybe and move over to the left a tad and then a little closer to the group of 3 in the middle. That would get rid of the closer spong on the right and maybe allow you to frame it better.

From what I remember on a few of your other pictures though.. I think this one is MUCH better! :clapping:

You are using a point and shoot camera? Focal Length doesn't really apply... It's what your EXIF data is reading as, but it's really a zoom ratio on your point and shoot... Not the same as a 35mm equivalent.

As for a comment on the photo... i think it would be nice to see more of the sponge.

I'm guessing you used the flash on the camera too, and not an external strobe??

You can see the shadows formed on the sponge on the right, from the flash coming from the left side.

Hi.
Thanks for the explanation on the focal length. I was wondering if it was info I could use to make my pictures better or something I had control over. Being a point and shoot, I guess not.
Thanks for the critic on the photo. I was using the flash on the camera and I agree, now that I look at it, maybe it would have been better if I had come around a little to the left.
Maybe the little blurring might be due to hand shake. I'll try bumping up the speed a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom