How do you guys carry/attach a camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jibjab

Contributor
Reaction score
i'm getting a new camera soon (either canon a710is or g7) and both have underwater casings made for them.. i was wondering though, how do you guys carry your cameras? i'd like to dive with a camera, but not have it on my wrist at all times.. more like my pocket flashlight where its there if i want to use it, but easily put out of the way if not needed.. so far all i can think of is a long (low or high?) force locking retractor attached to a d-ring somewhere..? anyone else have a better setup? right now for my flashlight i just have it attached to my pockets zipper with a string, not exacltly fancy but i couldn't think of anything better.. i can just stuff the q40 and string in my pocket, the string gives me plenty of reach and i can let it go if need be.. although i try to put it back in my pocket because otherwise it would dangle quite a bit.

Hi jibjab;

I usually clip my camera to one of the clips on my bcd. I also do not like to have it on my wrist. It will become an irritation very quickly.

TOM

I clip it to a lower D-ring, with a high-force retractor... after I shoot, I just let go...
(However, I don't have a strobe attached... It's a lone DX8000G PNS).

REII:
Hi jibjab;

I usually clip my camera to one of the clips on my bcd. I also do not like to have it on my wrist. It will become an irritation very quickly.

TOM

how do you clip it though so it doesnt dangle around? if i clipped it to my bcd i wouldnt be able to bring it up to my face..

I have it on a retractor on my right shoulder D-ring while I'm shooting with it. If i need to drop it in an emergency it'll stay with me. If i need to secure it for a surface swim, climbing a ladder, or just don't feel like taking any more pics, I have a plastic clip on the left side of the housing I clip off on my left waist. The camera is then set up diagonally across my body and doesn't hit me in the face.

jibjab:
i'm getting a new camera soon (either canon a710is or g7) and both have underwater casings made for them.. i was wondering though, how do you guys carry your cameras? i'd like to dive with a camera, but not have it on my wrist at all times.. more like my pocket flashlight where its there if i want to use it, but easily put out of the way if not needed.. so far all i can think of is a long (low or high?) force locking retractor attached to a d-ring somewhere..? anyone else have a better setup? right now for my flashlight i just have it attached to my pockets zipper with a string, not exacltly fancy but i couldn't think of anything better.. i can just stuff the q40 and string in my pocket, the string gives me plenty of reach and i can let it go if need be.. although i try to put it back in my pocket because otherwise it would dangle quite a bit.

my suggestion would be not to clip it to anything.Simply hold it in your hands..less chance of banging it into anything ..been doing it this way since 1975 and have not lost one yet...

I use a quick release coil lanyard. I guess a retractor also works depending on how heavy / big your setup is.

These are the best I have discovered. Clip the bolt snap off to a D-ring on your right shoulder and attach the split ring (best) or lanyard (adequate) to the housing. If the camera and housing is small enough to tuck into your BC, you can do so while it is still attached. If it's too big to tuck in, you're going to have to either hold it, or let it dangle. Most dive shops, local and online, carry them. This particular model, with bolt snaps and steel split rings, is a lot better than the junky ones with plastic snap hooks that break easily.

aqutcl.jpg

I strongly recommend against "just holding it". One moment of forgetfulness or a loose grip and that camera is gone. You should never take anything down that is not attached to you in some way, so you can just let go and use both hands in an emergency.

jibjab:
how do you clip it though so it doesnt dangle around? if i clipped it to my bcd i wouldnt be able to bring it up to my face..

I have clips on the front of my bcd about chest level. I clip the camera housing stap, which is about 20 inched (maybe) long so I can bring it to face level. My underwater housing came with that strap. If yours did not, you can probable find a longer one at a dive or camera shop. Mine is just a nylon strap, nothing fancy.

TOM

I use one of THESE

I dive with a D200 in housing with an SS200 Ike Strobe, so a big DSLR setup.

When diving with my Canon S70, having it on the wrist is just no big deal. With the DSLR even if it's big, it's no problem to hold onto it for most of the dive. I generally clip it off if I have to ascend from a wreck in current. With the DSLR rather than crossing my arms or leaving them at my sides, I just hold the camera in front of me. If one has reasonable buoyancy then the arms are not in motion, so having the camera out in front is fine.

If you swim with your hands, then this could be an issue, but more so in that it's not a good way to dive! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom