buying dive equipment in Ireland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasue2

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm looking to buy my first lot of diving gear. I've worked as a divemaster, and have about 450 dives, but I've always used shop gear. Now that i'm looking at dive holidays, diving here at home etc I dont want to waste money renting.

I'm in Ireland, and was wondering - does anyone know where to go to buy dive equipment in Ireland?Is it cheaper to try and buy online? What about second hand stuff, or gear that has been used in a diveschool? I'm on a budget, and the prices are terrifying me!!

I looked at scubapro equipment today - thats what we used in the diveshop I was working in - is it one of the better brands?

If anyone has any tips for buying in Ireland I'd appreciate it!

Thanks

well, if you buy online you should more or less know what you want and what sizes you need. if you go this route, check out simply scuba.com in the uk. i think the prices are decent but i live outside the european union, i.e. i don't have to pay the v.a.t.
i know uk divers that buy in the us at leisurepro.com from the us since they have very good prices and even including shipping they are competitive. also, you can always try ebay.
if you don't really know what you want, i'd rather go to a local shop or talk to dive buddies etc. normally (here in the us) shops give good deals to people that work for them....

scubasue2:
Hi all

I'm looking to buy my first lot of diving gear. I've worked as a divemaster, and have about 450 dives, but I've always used shop gear. Now that i'm looking at dive holidays, diving here at home etc I dont want to waste money renting.

I'm in Ireland, and was wondering - does anyone know where to go to buy dive equipment in Ireland?Is it cheaper to try and buy online? What about second hand stuff, or gear that has been used in a diveschool? I'm on a budget, and the prices are terrifying me!!

I looked at scubapro equipment today - thats what we used in the diveshop I was working in - is it one of the better brands?

If anyone has any tips for buying in Ireland I'd appreciate it!

Thanks

Whilst traveling in Ireland I didn't find much in the way of diving stores...but then again I was on an academic tour of your great country.

Scubapro is certainly a great brand, but I would leave myself open to other brands. APEKS certainly makes great regulators. O-Three has some nice drysuits. I know a fair number of folks travel to the East Coast of the United States during the winter to take advantage of shopping bargains. Perhaps, that's an option? Usually, as an instructor I get pro deals on a great many things so perhaps as a divemaster your school gives you the same option?

Cheers,

X

Sue, reading this board one might assume that SP or Apeks are the only acceptable regulators. Funny, actually. Below is a less expensive regulator which has proven itself over time; the Titan which can go to 100 m is worth a look. There are several models available. However, bear in mind if you need DIN, leisurepro charges 50US for the adapter. If you need an octopus it will be extra of course. There are plenty of used regulators for sale but you might need some assistance if you are not very familiar with brands and prices.
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/UDRT...l&AdvSrchSortField=Relevance&SortDesc=0&Hit=1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom