What's the brand to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhxDiver

Reaction score
Hello fellow divers,
I am new to the sport of diving and to scubaboard.com. I would like to eventualy purchase my own gear. I have been looking at a lot of equipment but I do not know which brands are the good ones. Could you please list some of the top brands and possibly models too? I am not looking to spend a furtune, but I do want to get a quality set up the first time around.

Thanks!
-john

Welcome to the board John. You've asked a very broad question, perhaps too broad. It might be easier to answer questions about specific pieces of gear, rather than all scuba gear in general. Almost all the major manufacturers make something that's decent. By the same token, almost all manufacturers make some things that are lousy. No single brand sells the best of everything.

Frank

I agree...different brands may specialize in different pieces of gear, or fit you better.

I see. How about the top brands for BCD, Regulator, and computer?
Thanks

I can understand that different brands might fit a person better, but I'm just curious in what direction I should look. Perhaps you may know of some equipment to stay away from?
thanks

zeagle,scubapro,aqualung,mares,oceanic,diveright,ect

PhxDiver:
Thanks

Conventional BC: Zeagle
BP/W: Deep Sea Supply, DiveRite, Oxycheq, OMS

Regs: Zeagle, Apeks, Scubapro, Aqualung

Computer: DiveRite, Delta P (VR2, VR3), Aeris/Oceanic

PhxDiver:
I can understand that different brands might fit a person better, but I'm just curious in what direction I should look. Perhaps you may know of some equipment to stay away from?

I'd avoid most of the stuff from Beuchat, Cressi, and TUSA

Scubadiving says the best reg is Atomic Aquatics - I have one and I think so also. They tend to be pricier. My other choices would be Scubapro and Apeks, but I don't have any financial constraints.

Zeagle is my choice for BC's.

For computers, get one you can easily understand. I like Uwatec because they turn on automatically when you splash. My regular buddy dives with a Aeris - it seems well thought out. If you plan to dive Nitrox in the future get one that handles both.

A friend dives mostly Oceanic gear and it seems really solid.

Also consider is what your local LDS can service.

If you're in Phoenix, PM if you have any local questions.

Also join us at AZScuba.

PhxDiver:
Thanks
You can consider those top brands list
Regs....Apeks ATX/ XTX 200,100,50, Scubapro MK25/S600,MK17/S555, Poseidon Xstream,
BCD....Zeagle, Scubapro, Halcyon, Dive rite, DSS, OMS...etc
Dive Computer......Dive rite, Delta P VR3, HS Explorer, Sunto, Scubapro...etc

Back
Top Bottom