equipment...own or rent?

Do you own or rent your scuba equipment?

• Own, spare money = more equipment

Votes: 211 98.6%
  • Rent, who needs to own renting is cheap

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brandnew2Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just thought it might be an interesting poll to see how many members own their own equipment and how many rent equipment for each dive. Also if you own how long were you diving before buying?

I got my own and suits for various situations.

Didn't actually get it until just after my DM but that was just my second year of diving and mostly because I couldn't afford it. It makes a world of difference.

If you know you're gonna dive get your own gear. At least mask BCD and Reg. Suits and fins I could live with but why?

I was renting for just a few months, but then I decided to get my own gear because I can trust myself to take better care of my own gear than trusting rental gear.

I got certified 3 yrs. ago and didn't dive until this Feb when I went into my LDS and purchased all my gear, I figure if I spend money I'll go diving. So far 30 dives this year and not finished(1 more trip to WPB) hope to double that next year:D

I'm not even sure this is a serious question. Renting absolutely has its place. Primarily for those first learning the sport and for the occasional vacation diver. But for anyone who is serious about Scuba, does it as much as possible and is always striving to be a more proficient and safer diver, IMO there is no alternative to owning your own gear.

The poll questions are not exactly fair. I expect that many, like me, both own and rent.

Since I do not have the room for tanks, I always rent them. Same with weights. Everything else is mine.

Divin'Hoosier:
I'm not even sure this is a serious question. Renting absolutely has its place. Primarily for those first learning the sport and for the occasional vacation diver. But for anyone who is serious about Scuba, does it as much as possible and is always striving to be a more proficient and safer diver, IMO there is no alternative to owning your own gear.

It's a serious question. Believe it or not the most experienced diver I know in the real world has been diving for 30 years with hundreds of dives logged and has never bought a single piece of equipment outside of her own fins and mask. I thought this was strange, so I just wanted to find out if I was the strange one for buying a full set up right out of OW.

garyfotodiver:
The poll questions are not exactly fair. I expect that many, like me, both own and rent.

Since I do not have the room for tanks, I always rent them. Same with weights. Everything else is mine.

Maybe I should have put that in as an option, but I assumed many people own their own gear but rent tanks and weights, I expected those people to vote for owned. I rent my tanks but own everything else.:D

I've been renting since getting certified, however the cost of 'leisure' dives aren't cheap once you factor in the additional cost of hiring the equipment. So now I have my own equipment, and will be saving for my own tanks soon, that way I can go diving for like $5 for the fill and do a shore dive. To make things doublely worse my wife dives too!

Brandnew2Scuba:
Maybe I should have put that in as an option, but I assumed many people own their own gear but rent tanks and weights, I expected those people to vote for owned. I rent my tanks but own everything else.:D

No, leave the poll alone, it's fine. The majority of divers that have their own gear don't own tanks, as you rightly assumed.

Back
Top Bottom