mares gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sudsy

Registered
Reaction score
Hello

What can you tell me about mares gear? The LDS in my area sells only mares stuff.

What can you suggest for a newly diver?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Sudsy

Hey Sudsy;

I am sure you will get lots of opinions on different types of gear. I for one use a Mares V-16 Proton Regulator and a Mares BCD. I have been using them for about 2-3 years. Prior to that I had an old Dacor. Anyway, I am very happy with my Mares products. They have served me well, and worn well.

Are there any other dive shops you can visit? My first suggestion would be to try to visit other shops to get some insight into other manufacturers before you make your choice.

Also, where are you, and where will you be diving? Conditions may dictate the necessity for specialized euipment.

Just my $.02

Good luck.

TOM

I have the Mares Proton Ice Extreme,. Absolutly great, just came back from toby where i did a 130ft dive in 35 degree water. no probley wat so ever. I also have the abyss first stage and proton metal second stage for my right post on my doubles. They make great regs and i would say even for a new diver so to the top one if you can afford it so you dont have to upgrade later. In terms of BC i had the Dragon, It was really nice, but the weight pockets are no good, i lost them twice. lol. But that the only bad thing i can say bout them

no just the one shop here. The gear i rented was very good. Most of my dives will be cold water. My wife and i will be going to Cozumel in Feb for two weeks.

Both my wife and I are looking to buy gear, BCD,REGS and Wetsuit.

I just thought if anyone had opinions on Mares gear would be great.

Thanks

Sudsy

Sudsy,
I have almost an ALL-Mares setup and love their gear. They make top quality products and I honnestly believe that if the characteristics of the Mares product you are considering fits your needs, you can be sure it is a good purchase... :D This said, even though I like their products a lot, they are not the only manufacturer of good suba gear out there! And if you specifically know what you like and dislike about each item you are looking to buy (ex: you know you like weight pockets, etc...), you would be wise to consider products from other manufacturers and compare them to the Mares product you are considering! And if possible, try the stuff on to see what fits best!

Also, proximity of Mares service centers can be another important consideration before you buy. I have a dive shop who deals a lot of Mares products 5 minutes from my house...:eyebrow: So servicing is easy...

Even though I am by no means a pro, I can definetly reassure you that Mares has top quality products. Is this the best choice for you? That's for you to decide!!!!

Hope this helps!:coffee:

I've got a Mares Isotherm suit. It's top banana, a really toastie suit that also looks stylish (I've had fellow divers admiring it - or was that my pecks? Hmm..)

Only heard good things about their regs/BCDs too for what it's worth.

lol. yeah i was alittle narced. It was on the forest city in tobermory, and i swam around the boiler and didnt notice that i was swiming under neath some wood. It was ok just did a heli turn and go out, and i was proud of my self that i didnt freak out and i wasnt one of the deaths on this wreck.

I have some Mares gear and I have to say that it is top quality stuff, my reg the MR12 can be a little tempermental but with a little adjustment works perfectly, I have used it at 46mtrs and I got plenty of air, hope to use for another few years..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom