Is my package deal a DEAL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeiLei75

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been slowly building my scuba wardrobe and have decided that after a $125 BCD rental cost on the Nekton in the Cayman's coming up here in October, that I should just buy one since I also rented in Honduras for $86.

Curious if my decision is right? (I have not bought the package yet). Mind you I have been on tons of websites, been to several stores, and have considered Aeris and Oceanic brands for costs savings. By the time I added everything in, I felt I was coming to the same costs. So I decided, why not go package deal, get lifetime warranties on everything (some websites did not offer warranties), and go top of the line?

PACKAGE:
-Titan LX Reg: Reg. $475 (but $375 since buying a computer)
-Octopus: $100 since buying reg
-Balance BCD: Reg. $535 (but $435 since buying Reg)
-Gecco Nitrox Computer: Reg. $395 ($295 since buying BCD)
-Console/Compass: $80
-Henderson 3M wetsuit/Titanium: Reg. $275 (but $250 since I bought computer)
-TOTAL COST: $1660

INCLUDED:
-Every regulator/buoyancy compensator package includes free hose protectors, warranty registration/assembly/bench testing, membership in the Premium Service Club, and our expert advice
-Lifetime Warranty (required parts replacement at n/c)
-Lifetime Premium Service Club Member ($85/yr value): Will save me approx. $100 each year off maintenance

Thanks Again!!
Ashley

What store are you buying all of this from? I am from DC as well. That looks like a pretty good package to me expecially because of the service if you are planning to live hear for a long time. The only thing i see that looks expensive is the computer. I bought a set of apeks regs and a gekko computer from The Dive Shop in fairfax and the price for the gekko by itself was 285 and an additional 100 off for buying the regs with them. I would say to find out the price you should be paying for those things would be to go on scubatoys and look for the same or products of similar quality and look at their pricing. Now, there really is no way for a LDS to match that price but you can use that as a basis and then add what you think local service and loyalty is worth.

Besides checking that the price is right, be sure all the pieces are what you really want. Did you pick out these components to make up a package deal, or is it a standard pre-defined package? Have you at least tried on that BC and know it will fit you well, and you like the type and way things are arranged? (Some people check out a LOT of BCs looking for the right one.) Have you tried on that particular wetsuit and know it fits? Etc. If parts of the package aren't things you would have bought anyway, it could be a false economy. So just watch out for that aspect of packages.

Reasonable deal, good quality gear, which shop is it?

I am getting it from the Dive Shop in Fairfax, VA. I have tried so many types of things and tried things on.

The Balance BCD is great for me b/c I am tall AND busty, so the Libra (made for women) and other type BCD's did not fit my torso height. The Balance (the Libra for men) fit great. Both are made for BOOBS! There is no covering over the chest, just a clip. And it is so comfortable -- it is called "balance" b/c of the back plate and back inflation = best balance and buoyancy control. No frontal inflation. It's a great BCD and the best I tried on. Oceanic has a similiar one but with the velcro frontal close, and I hate the velcro. The balance has a completely open front and only clips, and the back plate just sits it pretty on you with minimal strain on your back. I have rented two types as well that I hated. The Balance rocks.

The Henderson Titanium is awsesome b/c again I am tall and busty, so it was easy to get on and off and fit my boobs (DD's here folks). So, I looked fabulous in it and a size 8 fits a 5'8" woman.

I have been to Splash and a few other places, and also checked out Scuba Toys and Leisure Pro. I buy from ScubaToys all the time, but I can't get the aforementioned products from them like the BCD. The problem with some items online are is that you can't buy top of the line items and get a warranty or service plan b/c the manufacturer won't allow it, and by the time I did price comparisons with oceanic or aeris type products that are still great, I felt I was running into the same price range give or take. I have not talked to scuba toys about a package deal, I need to call them. It's just I LOVE the Balance BCD and Henderson wetsuit, and I also borrowed my friends titan LX reg for Roatan, and it was just spectacular - the mouth guard too.

Regarding the Gecco computer, yes $285 may be high but I can't buy one w/o the other with this deal, so w/o the wetsuit, the package deal is actually $1400 for top of the line.

But yes, the products have all been tried on and are loved. I even did this in the spring but then did not do it, and ended up with rented equipment that I did not like!

-Ashley

Sounds like all good, informed choices. All reliable stuff easily serviced locally. An advantage of doing it via the shop, you got to try on the equipment and find what works well for you.

Nice to see some other va area divers posting!

Happy diving.

Seems like pretty good stuff. Decent price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom