Why I personally choose not to use a bugeed back-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O2BBubbleFree

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been around this board long enough to know that the title is going to generate some,

interest?,

but on another thread two individuals asked me to explain a comment I made, and I decided to start this thread rather than further hijack the other. So here we go....

First off, let me say, once again, that I am neither for nor against the bungeed backup in general. However, when another member posted

It works for all kinds of diving...
emphasis mine

I mentioned that I knew of two cases where it does not work.

H2Andy and Sideband asked me what those two cases are, and yes, Sideband, the two cases I was talking about are Double Hose and Rebreather divers. Andy, you scored a 50%.:eyebrow:

As you know, with a bungeed backup you donate your primary. While this might make sense in all other cases, with either a RB or Double Hose Reg it is not a reasonable choice. In these two cases you can't donate your primary, and therefore it doesn't make sense to also have a back-up/octo/safe second that you can't donate (unless, of course, you don't care about your buddy!).

One of the best pieces of advice I have seen on this board, over and over, is to make equipment choices based not on the kind of diving you are doing, but on the kind of diving you want to do in the future.

I see no reason to develop habits that I will have to try to break in the future (any more than I have to), including the use of a bungeed backup.

Actually, I plan on ditching my traditional Octo and moving to a pony bottle in the near future, since that is something that I can get used to using now, and carry forward (I just have to start calling it a bail-out bottle :wink:)

Again, I am not telling anyone else how to dive, just explaining my decision.

Just a few minor details now:

H2Andy, if you are reading this: On the other thread I got the impression that you were implying that I was referring to something... (boy, that's ambiguous!)... outside of recreational diving. I define recreational diving by the style of diving (i.e. within the NDL), not the equipment used, so would argue that both of these cases are applicable to recreational diving.

And just to be thoroughly anal, when I said that with these two styles of diving you 'can't' donate what you are breathing, I was being a little simplistic. I do know that some agencies used to teach buddy breathing off of a RB (and possible off of a Double Hose), but I also understand that it is difficult to the point of being dangerous to do so, so it's not taught any more.

Also, I did read a post (I think on another board) where a RB diver was promoting the use of a bungeed backup, but by my way of thinking that would necessitate carrying yet another second stage that could be donated, and I think that is impractical.

And to be really, really picky, Sideband, you guessed "Vintage Double Hose." Since USD had introduced the 'new' Mistral, I guess I'm referring to all Double Hose diving, not just Vintage :wink:

Scubakevdm:
You forgot free diving.

Well, since this thread is all about me, and I don't plan to free dive...

Just realized I have a typo in the title, and can't edit it. Sorry 'bout that.

O2BBubbleFree:
H2Andy and Sideband asked me what those two cases are, and yes, Sideband, the two cases I was talking about are Double Hose and Rebreather divers.

well, that's like saying you can't use a submarine if you travel in the desert. ya... no kiddding...

with rebreathers and double-hose regs (assuming a single first stage connection behind your noggin') the equipment precludes use of a secondary, bungied or otherwise. you just don't have a secondary coming over your shoulder as you do with a first stage capable of handling such

you can use a separate stage and a regulator in those cases, but that's not what we were talking about

Something I've always wondered.

Apart from the Bubbles in the rear, and some sea hunt nostalgia whatever, what is the compelling reason for diving a double hose horse and buggy in this decade?

Or are those the reasons? Which is fine, I guess.

Thanks

---
Ken

Andy, I think his point is that, assuming he's not diving a RB *now*, since he plans to dive a RB later, it's better for him to practice how he'll eventually be diving, so shouldn't use a bungeed backup. Not saying I agree or disagree, but it does match the GUE idea of diving the same way under different gear configurations. Now, it also breaks a lot of GUE "rules", but that's a different point.

well... if he's going to be diving a RB later, then he needs to sling a bail-out stage with him now and not use a backup reg at all (bungeed or otherwise), to follow his logic.

not sure if he said he's doing that. if he did, i missed it

Unfortunately my diving is so sporadic lately that I still use rentals and therefore will not have a bungeed back-up LOL....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom