Metal Detector

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nagel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anybody out there use a metal detector underwater? I keep thinking this might be a fun thing to do while diving. Pricing for units designed for underwater use vary from $200 up into the $1000's. I'm sure you get what you pay for, so I'm interested in hearing if anybody is an expert in these devices and what is and what is not important in these devices so I can norrow down my search. Also, if somebody has a recommendation on a model that would be helpful.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks

S. Nagel

JW Fisher pulse 8x. try a search for "metal detector" here.

FD

I have a Fisher, not JW Fisher, Pulse with a 10" coil. It works good under water and on the beach. Metal detecting, in most public areas, has been declared a crime by the state of Florida. I don't use my detector anymore, make me an offer.

This company has lots of information and some of the best prices around.

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/indexmain.htm

DennisS:
Metal detecting, in most public areas, has been declared a crime by the state of Florida.:no

Only in Florida...:14:

Blue Tide:
DennisS:
Metal detecting, in most public areas, has been declared a crime by the state of Florida.:no

Only in Florida...:14:

I think somebody forgot to tell the tourist cause they still use them on the beaches here.

TOM

Wouldn't mind finding one to use.. but I would hope I could take it deeper than 12' since the ends of some piers are in much deeper water than that.

REII:
I think somebody forgot to tell the tourist cause they still use them on the beaches here.

TOM

They can use them on certain beaches above the high water mark.

A. Metal detecting is legal on certain areas of Florida beaches. On the beach, you may detect from the high water mark to the toe of the dune. The high water mark or high tide line is usually identified by a weed line or a break in the surface of the beach. The toe of the dune is the bottommost elevation of where the dune visibly begins to rise. Seaward (surf/inter-tidal zone) of the high water mark is state-owned bottomlands. Metal detecting on state-owned bottomlands without authorization from the Division of Historical Resources is a violation of Chapter 267 and is punishable by law.

2)(a) The division may institute an administrative proceeding to impose an administrative fine of not more than $500 a day on any person or business organization that, without written permission of the division, explores for, salvages, or excavates treasure trove, artifacts, sunken or abandoned ships, or other objects having historical or archaeological value located on state-owned or state-controlled lands, including state sovereignty submerged lands.(ie.underwater)

Back
Top Bottom